FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

smoking sausage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24 15 6:49 am    Post subject: smoking sausage Reply with quote

Just trying to wrap my head around some of the processes here before I get started on this sausage making adventure.

for starters, I plan to make large ring sausages that can be coiled and laid on a grate for smoking.

Now for the smoking process (this is where I have ?'s)

Do I need to start slow (110F) and work up ever hour or can I start at like 300F and just "hot smoke" them???

Or maybe one method produces a better or more favorable product.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help and understanding.

Modified ECB
UDS
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24 15 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: smoking sausage Reply with quote

Rinngrizz wrote:
Just trying to wrap my head around some of the processes here before I get started on this sausage making adventure.

for starters, I plan to make large ring sausages that can be coiled and laid on a grate for smoking.

Now for the smoking process (this is where I have ?'s)

Do I need to start slow (110F) and work up ever hour or can I start at like 300F and just "hot smoke" them???

Or maybe one method produces a better or more favorable product.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help and understanding.

Are you using cure #1 in your sausage? If not using cure you are better off hot smoking since the low temp buildup leaves them in the danger zone too long. If you are using a cure then work your way up, the secret is you don't want to get it hot enough to render fat. I think if you start at 110 and work up no higher than 150 you will be good and not render any fat. I usually step it up over the period of the smoke 10 degrees every hh-h depending on how long you want them to take on smoke. When they reach a safe IT you need to make sure you give them a nice cold ice water bath to rapidly drop the temp and prevent shrinkage and drying out. After this point dry them and hang them at room temp a few hours to "bloom". Hope this helps!

I should add, prior to smoking it helps to dry the sausage (especially when doing it with a cure) Leave uncovered in a fridge over night or for a few hours, alternately you can hang them in the smoker with all dampers open for an hour before hitting them with smoke.
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25 15 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so putting them in a Mini UDS at say 250 rolling some apple or whatever kind of smoke is ok for a sausage with no cure??

The cure vs no cure really doesnt make a whole lot of difference for me. Im sure I will try some of both.

there are countless different types of sausage out there. The reason I've started to dig a little deeper is I have a 6mo. old at home that LOVES to watch dad work in the kitchen. he just is enamored by all the pots, pans, smell, and noises. Also with having the new little one, money is a bit tighter so my opportunities to do "dad things" away from home are shrinking. this is something I can do at home for essentially the cost of the food and my time. and time with lil man is free in my book.

Modified ECB
UDS
suckaass
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25 15 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rinngrizz wrote:
so putting them in a Mini UDS at say 250 rolling some apple or whatever kind of smoke is ok for a sausage with no cure??

Yes.
You can cook them with no cure at 250 till the IT reaches 160 and be good to go.
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25 15 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan! thanks!

Modified ECB
UDS
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31 15 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,

I'm sure you have tried many cured sausages. It is the agent that gives the meat that pink color. There is nothing wrong with hot smoking a fresh sausage. You can think of it as more grilled, like a brat. To me, cured sausages (both dried/fermented and semi dry) allow you to cook slower and at lower temperatures (or not at all) SAFELY to preserve the texture. Think about a nice fancy Salami......it has been cured and dried in a controlled environment. When you slice it, there are visible defined areas of meat and fat. This texture will not be the same in a hot smoked sausage.

Also, FWIW, I link sausage and lay on the grate all the time as opposed to hanging. That choice is completely up to you....

Good Luck and take some pics!

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: