FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting up my welder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heavymand

PostPosted: Sun May 03 15 9:54 am    Post subject: Setting up my welder Reply with quote

I am building my next smoker. Actually building this on from scratch and welding it together. My first task is going to be the firebox. 1/4" plate. A friend of mine is letting me use his shop. I can weld so lets get that out of the way. He has a millermatic dvi. My question is what pressure to set the gas at and about what voltage to be at. Any help would be awesome. I have NO experience in setting up a mig welder only using one.

[quote]I am building my next smoker. Actually building this one from scratch and welding it together. My first task is going to be the firebox. 1/4" plate. A friend of mine is letting me use his shop. I can weld so lets get that out of the way. He has a millermatic dvi. My question is what pressure to set the gas at and about what voltage to be at. Any help would be awesome. I have NO experience in setting up a mig welder only using one. I posted this in the welding section two but maybe I'll get more views if I post it here too. My plan is a 60" wide by 40" deep by 24" tall cook chamber built out of 10 or 11 gauge steel. The top will open and the front will fold down so the cooking rack can slide out for pig cooking. The firebox is going to be 20" wide by 15" high by 15" deep. Mounted on the back of the cooker in the center. I was thinking a 3" high by 20" wide opening from the firebox to the cook chamber should be about right with a 4" diameter or 4" box rail 24" tall on both ends will work. I can't decide on whether to put in tuning plates or a diffuser or maybe I don't need anything to even the heat. Any input would be awesome.[/quote]

[quote="heavymand"]It's gonna be a slow build but I'll post pictures as I progress. I cut the steel for my firebox yesterday so I'll get that up soon.[/quote]
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 03 15 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavymand are you running 220 or 110 with the machine?

Gas I run 25/30 cfh on most of my migs. here is your manual.
http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1330b_mil.pdf
heavymand

PostPosted: Sun May 03 15 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be running 110. It's a good machine I must say.
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 03 15 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a shop the gas should be set already.
On most mig machines or at least mine I can lift the cover and it has a chart for wire feed speed and voltage that will get you close. Then fine tune as you go.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 03 15 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
If your are going to have your exhausts on the rear of the chamber you will need a deflector plate above the opening wide enough to push the heat/smoke forward instead of straight up.

As far as setting the machine up, your buddy should have the answers you seek. It is his machine in his shop, surely he has used it on 1/4" plate as well as sheet metal.

I am not sure why you are damning the pit calculator, your current set up does not really apply to its intended purpose. Wink
I look forward to seeing some pics of your progress. Very Happy

I still work here!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 03 15 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51247

Quote:
6) Don't cross post, don't just cut and paste the same or nearly the same thread into different sections of these forums, it will be deemed cross posting and will end up with all the extraneous posts deleted, the Site Administrator will attempt to leave one in the most relevant section of the forum, offenders will be warned, repeat offender will be banned.

I left this thread and deleted the other one, and I moved the other posts into this thread too!

Please read the rules and use them to guide your posts.

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: