FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Little help with WSM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MGeslock
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27 15 12:10 am    Post subject: Little help with WSM Reply with quote

I got a CL score. 18 WSM for $125. Used maybe about 6 times. I have seasoned it for 3 cooks. No mods done to it yet.

I have a 55 gal UDS, 3 kettles, charbroil offset and and a custom offset made out of a 250 oil drum.

In the UDS you leave top wide open and adjust air valves.

I have read and read and read about Fire management on the WSM. I do realize that there are exactly 408 ways to do it and the one that works best for you IS the best.

Making a brined turkey this weekend. Using chunks of wood and Kingsford Blue. Looking for temps around 325°

Walk me through this please:
- water in the pan?
- chunks layered through out the charcoal?
- adjust heat by using the top vent?

I appreciate you taking away from your family to respond OR you are welcome for the chance to get AWAY from the family.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27 15 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Little help with WSM Reply with quote

MGeslock wrote:
I got a CL score. 18 WSM for $125. Used maybe about 6 times. I have seasoned it for 3 cooks. No mods done to it yet.

I have a 55 gal UDS, 3 kettles, charbroil offset and and a custom offset made out of a 250 oil drum.

In the UDS you leave top wide open and adjust air valves.

I have read and read and read about Fire management on the WSM. I do realize that there are exactly 408 ways to do it and the one that works best for you IS the best.

Making a brined turkey this weekend. Using chunks of wood and Kingsford Blue. Looking for temps around 325°

Walk me through this please:
- water in the pan?

Foil wrap the water pan, it helps with clean up later.

Quote:
- chunks layered through out the charcoal?

yup I use fist sized chunks about 1 1/2" thick.

Quote:
- adjust heat by using the top vent?

NOPE, leave the top vent 100% open.

As you start the WSM have all three bottom vents open, I used to poke a Turkey fryer long stemmed thermometer through the top vents. When you hit 200° close the bottom vent on the wind side, at 225° close the second bottom vent closest to the wind, at 240° shut the last bottom vent 50%, as you close on 250°, close it down to 33% open, it should settle in around 250° in about 10 minutes.

If it settles down a little high, don't worry about it, if it's a little low, open it up a touch, the "correct" setting can be somewhere between 25% open - 45% open, don't sweat it...it's all good.

Before you open it up, note the position of that vent, close the vent, open the lid, do what you need to do, put the lid back on, give the cooker 8 - 10 minutes, the reopen the vent to the previous stable running temperature, this is the same as I run a UDS.

Quote:
I appreciate you taking away from your family to respond OR you are welcome for the chance to get AWAY from the family.

The second rather than the former, in fart I may go fishing for a couple of hours.

Happy T day to you, I hope that helps.

I still work here!
MGeslock
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01 15 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions were perfect.it's settled then about 250°
I wanted to get it around 325° Seem to really like 250°

It took almost 8 hours but the food was unbelievable

Thank you for all of the help and advice.

I hope I got the photos right. Was using iPad and not sure. If they are wrong, please turn into links and I will try again.

Last edited by MGeslock on Wed Dec 02 15 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01 15 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGeslock wrote:
The instructions were perfect.it's settled then about 250°
I wanted to get it around 325° Seem to really like 250°

It took almost 8 hours but the food was unbelievable

Thank you for all of the help and advice.

I hope I got the photos right. Was using iPad and not sure. If they are wrong, please turn into links and I will try again.

For the next time, if you want to run a WSM hotter, either fill the water pan with "washed play sand" or just leave it wrapped in foil, don't put the water in the pan, and you can get the temperatures higher, just do the same, catch the first bottom vent 50° below your target temp, the second 25° below target temp, and fine tune the third vent 10 - 15° below target temp!

Pics were big so I put them back to links, food looked good, thanks for understanding!

I still work here!
timmer55

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25 16 3:55 am    Post subject: WSM Reply with quote

when you need to get the WSM 300 or plus temp for hot and fast take side door turn it upside down and prop the bottom open with something to let more air in. This is how I do turkey or beer butt chicken.
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25 16 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but for high temp smokes in my WSM, no water in the pan, all vent wide open.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: