FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FAB B
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09 07 5:28 am    Post subject: FAB B Reply with quote

It has come to my attention that the only source for FAB B is currently recouperating. Anyone know of anywhere else to pick some up. The Ingredient store is the only place I have seen it and I would really like to get some to try it out...Looking for Fab B lite.

Oh and does anyone else use this stuff? or actually want to admit that they use this stuff?
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09 07 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never even heard of it. what is it?

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09 07 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mds2 wrote:
Never even heard of it. what is it?

nothing you want to get involved with...once you start you can never turn back....trust me the less you know the better...

I already have the taste...

actually it is just some marinde/injection that you can use on stuff...I want to try it out...some folks like to use it...others dont...some probably use it and dont like to talk about it...

I just want to give it a shot...
David
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09 07 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my market we have a very similar produt . The main noticable differance is mune has more of a beef flavor.
How much do you buy at a time? We sell ours for $5.00 per pound. Packaged up in what ever size you need. If you want to try some call me and we can talk. 405-205-3270.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09 07 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dawg,

They're the only makers of it I know of. Have you contacted them lately and nothing available?
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09 07 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinOkie wrote:
Sorry Dawg,

They're the only makers of it I know of. Have you contacted them lately and nothing available?

yeah they are having some issues right now. Basically the dad wasd running the store. He had some health issues and now the sons are trying to run the store in their spare time and things arent going so smoothly...everyone on thebbqforum.com seems to think that they are on the up and up, and the son was on there today, but he said that orders should be out by summer...which is a little too long for me to wait.

I might have to try the other product, but I have never tried fab b so I wouldnt know what to compare it too...
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09 07 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am familiar with the FAB products. Out of the jar, they taste like boullion. They are basically a MSG conduit. I know of a few teams up here who use them ,mainly I Smell Smoke who advertises them on their trailer, and they do well with them. It seems like you could make it yourself with beef stock powder and MSG, Accent.
Bigjim4x
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 07 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems like you could make it yourself with beef stock powder and MSG, Accent.

The ingredients you mentioned have nothing to do with why FAB works other than the MSG for flavor enhancing. What FAB does that makes it special is that it causes the meat to remain very moist.

I have a substitute for FAB finished and ready for sale. I'm just working on putting a website together. It will be available by the pound. So you can order any amount you need. The best part about our product is that it will have no flavor at all. It can be used with any meat you choose. You won't need to buy a different one for chicken or pork. The product won't have any of the nasty bouillon flavor that everyone seems to hate. But it has all of the active ingredients of the FAB. The fact that it has no flavor means you use the liquid of your choice to make the flavor your own. If you want a beef flavor for injecting add a good beef stock and so on. I have a company that is coming out with a full line of products (non bbq) including a Cajun Seasoning and several injection products for Wild Game. I developed this product for myself because I didn't like the flavor or the smell of the FAB. I just recently found out that people were having trouble getting FAB so I decided to sell what I make to the public. I'm thinking about making it available through EBAY till I get my website up and running.

Hurricane Smokers Cooking Team
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 07 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrcustomsteel wrote:
I am familiar with the FAB products. Out of the jar, they taste like boullion. They are basically a MSG conduit. I know of a few teams up here who use them ,mainly I Smell Smoke who advertises them on their trailer, and they do well with them. It seems like you could make it yourself with beef stock powder and MSG, Accent.

isnt there also some phosphate portion of the stuff that makes it retain water....I tried a different product that I found over the weekend and used it on one brisket while the other was without...couldnt really tell a hole lot of difference...
Bigjim4x
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 07 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
isnt there also some phosphate portion of the stuff that makes it retain water....I tried a different product that I found over the weekend and used it on one brisket while the other was without...couldnt really tell a hole lot of difference...

The Phosphates are part of the active ingredients but there are several others that all work toghther to cause it to retain moisture.

I have been working on this for several months. As most of you know I'm an average competition bbq cook at best. I have used it twice in comps so far and we took a RGC in our first event and 3rd in shoulder in a MIM event the second time. The moisture in the brisket was something like I have never been able to do before that. It works just as well on pork and chicken as on brisket.

DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 07 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigjim4x wrote:
Quote:

The Phosphates are part of the active ingredients but there are several others that all work toghther to cause it to retain moisture.

I have been working on this for several months. As most of you know I'm an average competition bbq cook at best. I have used it twice in comps so far and we took a RGC in our first event and 3rd in shoulder in a MIM event the second time. The moisture in the brisket was something like I have never been able to do before that. It works just as well on pork and chicken as on brisket.

well send me a pound of it then...
Bigjim4x
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 07 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
well send me a pound of it then...

I hope to be up and running on EBAY by the end of the week. I'm still working on my company website but thats going to be a few months away. I'll let you know as soon as it's up on ebay.

mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 07 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is just the tip of the iceberg since there is now so much money on the line at contests. I'm sure this will come full circle when the sanctioning bodies will have to address which chemicals we can use on our competition meats. I wonder if we will someday have to include a sample to be drug tested.

Heck, I'd like to sample it too. Is it a product you will use every week feeding your family or is it just for competitions?
Bigjim4x
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 07 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Heck, I'd like to sample it too. Is it a product you will use every week feeding your family or is it just for competitions?

I have no problem using it on a weekly basis. It does have MSG in it. I don't have a real problem with that. Heck MSG is made from sugar beet's anyway and it doesn't bother me. But if your eating competition BBQ your getting your fair share of MSG anyway.

Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 07 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my order of Fab products about a week ago and it took about 10 days from placing the order to get to my house. I know of other teams that are now getting their shipments but I still don't know if all their orders have been filled.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 07 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is good to hear.

I dont think that we will see drug testing or anything like that, but what I do think that we will see is a backlast to the flavor and taste of meats that have been drugged...does that make sense...like if a certain flavor becomes super common with everyone then the judges might start to think that is ordinary and then the guy not drugging is going to standout?
Bigjim4x
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 07 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I dont think that we will see drug testing or anything like that, but what I do think that we will see is a backlast to the flavor and taste of meats that have been drugged...does that make sense...like if a certain flavor becomes super common with everyone then the judges might start to think that is ordinary and then the guy not drugging is going to standout?

That's what's starting to happen right now with the FAB B. So many people are using it that the judges are starting to recognize that flavor. Which is one of the reasons I'm making my product without any flavor. That way you can change it up on them and still get the benefits of the moisture retention.

mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 07 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us more about the phosphates and how they help in moisture retention. I'm no chemist.
Bigjim4x
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 07 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tell us more about the phosphates and how they help in moisture retention. I'm no chemist.

As I stated earlier the phosphates are part the active ingredients in the mix there are others as well. As far as how it all works together. That's a little more than I want to reveal. But I will say that's it's a similar process as used in sausage making.

David
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 07 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right, anyone that pumps meat blocks knows to use a product called cold phaosphate or the sausage binder for flavor is a sure gelitan that has cold phosphate in it. Either product is flovorless in itself. So just contact your local meat spice supplier and by it in bulk. We keep it on hand and use it weekly when doing hams and wide selection of sausages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: