FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Protecting my turf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27 16 9:59 pm    Post subject: Protecting my turf Reply with quote

Literally, i need some ideas to protect the artificial grass that is right next to the firebox Smile You see, the other day I was testing out my smoker, figuring out the ins/outs of the firebox with wood and charcoal, and I accidentally dropped a hot coal onto the artificial grass, and it burned a nice hole in it.

The smoker itself sits on a concrete patio, and the firebox opening is ~2' away from the turf. Of course i wanted to protect the turf, so i put large pieces of cardboard underneath the firebox, so it extends another 2-3' onto the turf to guard against what i had just done. Problem is, over time, while dinking around inside the firebox, the cardboard moved a bit, to the point where it was maybe 1-2' onto the turf. So when I emptied a chimney of hot coals into the top end of the firebox, i peered in, with my hand/chimney extended out for balance, not knowing there was still a single coal in it, thus right when my hand/chimney was over the turf, the single coal fell out onto the turf.

So, while the cardboard is nice - it catches a lot of charcoal dust form getting onto the patio/turf, i also realized it is very flammable Embarassed Nother major, but as little bits of hot coals fell onto it, it would begin to smolder/ignite/etc. So it did protect the turf multiple times, but it's a bad idea.

Until I find a better location for the smoker, i will try to move it in a bit more so i have more clearance between the firebox and turf. At the same time, is there anything else other than cardboard i can lay on the ground that would protect the turf? I was thinking maybe using one or two of those cheap welders blankets from Harbor Freight. I'm not anticipating dropping coals every time, it's just to protect the stupidities that happen from time to time.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27 16 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sheet of steel or a couple of those concrete pavers.

I still work here!
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27 16 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Protecting my turf Reply with quote

yukoff wrote:
Literally, i need some ideas to protect the artificial grass that is right next to the firebox Smile You see, the other day I was testing out my smoker, figuring out the ins/outs of the firebox with wood and charcoal, and I accidentally dropped a hot coal onto the artificial grass, and it burned a nice hole in it.

The smoker itself sits on a concrete patio, and the firebox opening is ~2' away from the turf. Of course i wanted to protect the turf, so i put large pieces of cardboard underneath the firebox, so it extends another 2-3' onto the turf to guard against what i had just done. Problem is, over time, while dinking around inside the firebox, the cardboard moved a bit, to the point where it was maybe 1-2' onto the turf. So when I emptied a chimney of hot coals into the top end of the firebox, i peered in, with my hand/chimney extended out for balance, not knowing there was still a single coal in it, thus right when my hand/chimney was over the turf, the single coal fell out onto the turf.

So, while the cardboard is nice - it catches a lot of charcoal dust form getting onto the patio/turf, i also realized it is very flammable Embarassed Nother major, but as little bits of hot coals fell onto it, it would begin to smolder/ignite/etc. So it did protect the turf multiple times, but it's a bad idea.

Until I find a better location for the smoker, i will try to move it in a bit more so i have more clearance between the firebox and turf. At the same time, is there anything else other than cardboard i can lay on the ground that would protect the turf? I was thinking maybe using one or two of those cheap welders blankets from Harbor Freight. I'm not anticipating dropping coals every time, it's just to protect the stupidities that happen from time to time.

Need Pics! Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28 16 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had posted up another topic about a BBQ area on a wood deck and MissionUSMC mentioned using a fireproof mat that can be had from Lowes. So credit goes to him for the idea.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_117446-18889-GP-42___?productId=999904481&pl=1&Ntt=grill+mats
biker.chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28 16 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the fireproof mat.
EAT BACON
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28 16 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:
I had posted up another topic about a BBQ area on a wood deck and MissionUSMC mentioned using a fireproof mat that can be had from Lowes. So credit goes to him for the idea.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_117446-18889-GP-42___?productId=999904481&pl=1&Ntt=grill+mats

That's funny, Mike. As soon as I read this thread, I thought of your patio project. Laughing

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
1MoreFord
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28 16 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also look at stores that carry wood stoves. They sell pads that go under the stoves for the same purpose.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29 16 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cement backer board for tile etc. Lowes / home depot etc.
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30 16 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the grill pad as suggested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: