FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whole hog cook time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiram13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31 18 4:25 am    Post subject: Whole hog cook time? Reply with quote

I will cooking a whole hog in a couple of weekends. 120lb farm raised. Planning on doing it butterfly style, skin down. Wondering what kind of times I should be planning on. I am cooking on a Lang 84 reverse flow. Planning on running 225 to 250 for temp. I have heard that the RF speeds up the cook a little, as does the fact that it is butterflied verses racetrack style. I have been seeing suggestions online of 1 hr/10lbs. somebody also said 10 minutes per pound. Which would be a 20 hour cook.

To those of you that have done it, is that correct?

Chuck
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01 18 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post a link to the best reference on the site. BBQMAN's Pig Roast 101

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22364

If you really want to prep up on this cook use the search function up above. Type in "whole and hog" without quotations. It will pull up 46 pages of topics. you can look at topic headings and usually tell if you want to click. Some will be about build whole hog cookers, some will have the word hog in them but if you look thru there will be a lifetime of knowledge on cooking whole hogs available on this site. And any other smoking/grilling, curing topic as well. You just have to be creative with your search terms.

Hope it goes well.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
AnhartGeorge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03 18 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I'm curious to know how it turns out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: