FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Applications for employment, Oh the joy!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 16 2:40 am    Post subject: Applications for employment, Oh the joy! Reply with quote

We are hiring, so I ran a few local ads stating that we will be accepting applications in 2 weeks, and conducting interviews the same day.

I also posted our minimum hourly starting pay which is significantly higher than most other employment opportunities in my area so I can attract some big hitters ty my place.

The word got out of what we are paying, Sadly, it has attracted exactly the opposite of what i was hoping to see for respondents.

Question 1; "Why are you applying for this position?
Answer "Duh, I need a job, my unemployment ran out"

Question 2; "Do you have any restaurant experience?"
Answer "No, but it can't be that difficult"

I got people showing up with zero employment history for the last 2-3 years, I even had a woman tell me that she should have first dibs on any job openings because she has worked for me before.
Yeah, she showed up 2 out of the 5 days that she was scheduled, at least 30 minutes late on those 2 days that she decided to show up, and stinking of alcohol and loads of perfume to try to cover the stink those 2 times.
I don't know about you guys, but myself and almost every cook I know finds the smell of overpowering perfume highly offensive in a kitchen environment.

The highlight of my day was when the state unemployment office had called to verify that an individual did apply for work at our business, after searching through my application file, I asked if they had a date listed. It turns out I was in Las Vegas when this person falsified the information on their work search paperwork.
I'm glad they are now checking these things. The more people dumped from the program may make it easier to find people who are willing to work.
I find it very difficult to compete with these welfare programs when other restaurant are paying cash at end of their shift just to get people to work. They are paying cash so it does not disrupt their unemployment paychecks.
How can I possibly compete with that while staying above board and legal?

I've decided I will be videotaping our interviews, if I cannot draw some decent labor out of this circus, I might be able to win $10,000.00 on a funniest videos show, who knows.

What have you seen for unqualified employees and outrageous demands? I know there has got to be some good stories out there.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 16 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have regularly had individuals ask if I was hiring...When I say 'no' their response is 'good, I'm putting you down as one of my stops'.....
Another 'cute' story of how efficient [ corrupt] 'the system' is:
A good friend is the book keeper etc. for a good size retailer on a main street nearby....They had to lay off several service related workers. The workers then opened little shops in their garages etc. and were taking customers from said retailer while collecting unemployment bennies...The retailers fund was depleting quickly, so they had to pay in a lot more....My friend contacted the state and told them exactly what was going on...The state rep replied " I drive by your place every day, and it looks to me like you are doing just fine"....W.T.F.??!!! Knowing full well these on U.I were taking in cash, no taxes being paid in, no income reported etc.....' they need to supplement their U.C'..... ILLEGALLY!! Having zero care about the retailer struggling, taking loans just to survive....'we are the state, just pay it'......
I have a few more similar stories.....
My favorite, told directly to me: By my good friend Karl![ I am assuming you wont use this as yet another screen shot in your next report as I mentioned you by name here ]
"Workmans comp is a tax you must pay whether anyone uses it or not" [ taxation w/o representation ] followed up with " We [ the state] have a 2 sq mile area of Milwaukee where not one single business pays ANYTHING on any employee's or other taxes and there is nothing we can do about it"...I didnt know Milwaukee was a sanctuary city until that point!!
A bit off topic here, but isnt it just sweet to know that they wont even attempt to go after illegals???!!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Camper Bob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 16 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I am looking to replace an entry level position, I only post an email address and ask for resumes only. This way I can filter out the unqualified. Certainly someone could falsify their work experience, but most of the applicants have what you are requesting. I then follow up with a phone interview, before a face to face. I wouldn't post any mention of your name of your restaurant, and post "email resumes only." Works for me. Good luck. In todays economy, most of the good employees are employed. We are now scraping the bottom of the barrel for employees. That has been my experience.
LEM #5 Meat Grinder
LEM 5# Vertical Sausage Stuffer
Cookshack Model SM025 Electric Smoker
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24 16 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camper Bob wrote:
When I am looking to replace an entry level position, I only post an email address and ask for resumes only. This way I can filter out the unqualified. Certainly someone could falsify their work experience, but most of the applicants have what you are requesting. I then follow up with a phone interview, before a face to face. I wouldn't post any mention of your name of your restaurant, and post "email resumes only." Works for me. Good luck. In todays economy, most of the good employees are employed. We are now scraping the bottom of the barrel for employees. That has been my experience.

Thats a great tactic for larger towns, If I lived in a more populated area, I would do exactly that.

Tony can attest to the area that I am in, it is basically Mayberry, but with a buttload of snow.
A guy can't fart around here without a few dozen people wanting a nose full so that can then debate what your latest meal may have been.

My hopes are with the outlandish pay rates that we are offering, I draw some experienced individuals from other employers
Camper Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24 16 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say hello to the sheriff. One other suggestion, instead of high hourly rate, why not offer some health insurance, or pay for a tank of gas a week. They get a free tank of gas and you claim it as a business expense. Win, Win!!
LEM #5 Meat Grinder
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24 16 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camper Bob wrote:
Say hello to the sheriff. One other suggestion, instead of high hourly rate, why not offer some health insurance, or pay for a tank of gas a week. They get a free tank of gas and you claim it as a business expense. Win, Win!!

There's just not enough competent help to meet the demand in this area.
So I am trying to build the best crew that this area has to offer.

Here's what I am up against;

People collecting unemployment checks for 100 weeks, many other local restaurants so hard up for workers that they are paying people cash at the end of their shift just to get people in the door. So they collect these unemployment checks, and they are working for cash.

It makes it real difficult to compete against something like that to get help.

It's very sad when you really think about it,
I am forced to compete with government handouts to get any help here.
They can sit on their asses most of the week collecting those checks, then they go work for cash a few nights a week to supplement their income.

I spoke to the unemployment investigator again, and I now have a direct phone number that I can report people who do not show up for work after I hire them. She will check the names to see if they are collecting checks, and revoke them if they are for refusing work.

I tried doing exactly that a few years ago, and got the runaround, obviously things have changed over there and they are finally taking this a bit more seriously now.
It's about damn time!

I've had no less than 2 dozen people that have been hired but did not show up their first day, and I did have a guy show up wearing pajama bottoms, a bath robe with no shirt, and slippers for his first day. He expected me to fire him, but instead I gave him 45 minutes to go home and dress appropriately and be back.
He never showed up.....
Camper Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24 16 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently hired 6 different drivers who all either left or were canned after a week of work. As I did mention, all the better workers are already working and we are having to deal with the dregs of society. I hope for your sake that your method works. I suppose that the food industry has traditionally been very low paying. It will be interesting if raising the minimum rate locally will be able to attract and keep better workers. I really don't have any other suggestions. I commiserate with you about what you are dealing with. I wonder if their are any state or local programs that could assist you or maybe even contact a local VA to see if they have anyone interested. Seems you are in a very tight labor market. Can you afford to offer so much more that you can still compete and make a living?
LEM #5 Meat Grinder
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25 16 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camper Bob wrote:
Seems you are in a very tight labor market. Can you afford to offer so much more that you can still compete and make a living?

What we have here is a very popular summer tourist destination, there is not affordable housing available in the area to import seasonal workers.
The places that are for rent typically get upwards of $1,500.00 a week. The apartment style housing that is affordable are more geared for retirees,

We have a buttload of summer camps here, These camps absolutely refuse to hire locally due to the problems they have had with people just not showing for work, showing up intoxicated, theft, etc etc etc
the camps include room & Board in there compensation packages and only advertise out of state for their workers.
The workers who do come up for that camp work are all regulars here , they're a great bunch of people.

I do not know if you've seen any of my posts from a few years back about figuring food-cost ratios, but this is where being able afford proper help comes into play,
I first determine my labor cost so I know where I need to be on my food-cost percentage to meet that magical 50% combined food/labor cost ratio.

It almost borders on alchemy, but the way I see it, you need to know the cost of you labor before you can determine what your food-cost percentage needs to be.

Just yesterday I has someone apply, told them an approximate starting date if he gets hired, and he told me that he wants to wait until his unemployment runs out in July before starting.
WTF do you even say to something that?
Damnitall, it is supposed to be a stop-gap program, not a career!
People are obviously living way too comfortable on these programs so they don't need to work.
Camper Bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25 16 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it is a resort area, any thought on hiring college kids for the summer? I think you said it all when the summer camps will not hire the locals. Tuff labor situation. Have you considered possibly renting a crash pad that you will offer to your temp hires for the summer. JUst a thought. I wonder if $15/hr and you supply the crash pad would make some out of towners more interested for the summer. Either that or relocate to a more hospitable locale for labor.
LEM #5 Meat Grinder
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 16 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camper Bob wrote:
Since it is a resort area, any thought on hiring college kids for the summer? I think you said it all when the summer camps will not hire the locals. Tuff labor situation. Have you considered possibly renting a crash pad that you will offer to your temp hires for the summer. JUst a thought. I wonder if $15/hr and you supply the crash pad would make some out of towners more interested for the summer. Either that or relocate to a more hospitable locale for labor.

That would come down to that "No affordable Housing" situation again.

Short of buying a bunch of campers and setting them up on our home property, there's just no place to house a summer crew affordably within an hours drive of here.

Now, Ironwood Michigan, I can buy 4-bedroom homes all day long for less than $20K each, but that is an hour or so away.

I think it is time for me to consider retiring from the restaurant biz, getting a new Harley, and touring the country right after I move out to the Vegas area.

If things do not changes drastically, I think i'm going to call 2016 my last year in this biz.. We are not having financial problems by any means, it's just that getting a decent team together has proven way more difficult than I had expected. This many years into this, I should not need to still be first one in, and last one out the door.

The applicants that I've been seeing so far are not making me very optimistic of an improved situation.
Camper Bob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 16 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand. It seems that no one else on this board can make other suggestions, who are in the food biz. Maybe it is time to retire if you are able to do so. Nothing wrong with touring the country on a motorcycle. I guess every mans dream is to open a restaurant without knowing all the pitfalls along the way. I assume you have done well in the past, at least I hope so, and with the current labor situation, might be time to throw in the towel and let the younger fellas take a shot. Since you will be coming into the tourist season shortly, it might make sense to start inquiring if anyone is interested in a going concern. Possibly a local may be interested. Good luck.
LEM #5 Meat Grinder
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 16 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame you can't hold your interviews at, or with an employee of, the unemployment office. That would weed out the non-serious ones. Hard to ask for delayed hirings, no shows etc with their case agents right there.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29 16 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camper Bob wrote:
I understand. It seems that no one else on this board can make other suggestions, who are in the food biz. Maybe it is time to retire if you are able to do so. Nothing wrong with touring the country on a motorcycle. I guess every mans dream is to open a restaurant without knowing all the pitfalls along the way. I assume you have done well in the past, at least I hope so, and with the current labor situation, might be time to throw in the towel and let the younger fellas take a shot. Since you will be coming into the tourist season shortly, it might make sense to start inquiring if anyone is interested in a going concern. Possibly a local may be interested. Good luck.

Oh, I knew exactly what I was getting into before taking the plunge.
My problem is that I underestimated to percentage of people who are shiftless.

I posted another help wanted ad in a local FB page,
I see interest from people, so I click on a name to get a little background, and what do I see on his FB wall, him bragging the ultimate bong that he just spent $100.00 to get!
WTF do you even say about that kind of stupidity.

I have many recent phone calls with the unemployment office, it looks like they have changed their ways and are now actively looking for reasons to revoke people,
I have a direct number to an investigator who will look for people who I hire and they do not show up.
They will be revoked for refusing work.
So that makes me feel better. The gravy train has derailed!

I know that I am only as good as my crew, so I prefer to surround myself with top performers, and they get very fairly compensated for their contribution.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29 16 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Governor Walker. <drops>
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29 16 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:

Not sure if you're serious or bashing.........
jar
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02 16 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely understand your dilema . I am in the auto body shop profession . I have been in dealership management for 19 years . One month ago I threw in the towel & went back to repairing cars . The frustration with the new generations lack of work ethic or pride in a job well done is disgusting . This has been a great month , fixing cars not baby sitting . Employers owe employees nothing other than what they earn . Good luck with your search .
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02 16 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
BigOrson wrote:

Praising, actually. He's done a lot to reform "entitlement" programs and reduce fraud.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03 16 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
Harry Nutczak wrote:
BigOrson wrote:

Praising, actually. He's done a lot to reform "entitlement" programs and reduce fraud.

as a Wi. resident, I concur! Still a long way to go, but a great start!! Dont get me going on how 'others' do all they can to block common sense, within and outside the State system....
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03 16 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
Harry Nutczak wrote:
BigOrson wrote:

I agree, one of the first things he did as our governor was to set up a website to be able to report government waste.

I saw the local EDC coordinator resign shortly after it was shown that he was only loaning to friends and getting quick payback to justify his obnoxious salary.

I wonder who reported him.....................
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12 16 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set aside 4 hours today to do interviews, with lans on staying up to 8 if I needed to.

I had 2 applicants show up, neither one had any "Line Cook" or pizza making experience.

We had a great opening weekend after 5 weeks of our spring break.

With our new pay-scale and our "No Tipping" rule, my Saturday crew averaged $20.00 per hour,
Not bad for a line cook , cashier and a dishwasher!

Screw it, it's monday, We're closed today, I'm going home to ride the couch for a few hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: