FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Applications for employment, Oh the joy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
-olllllllo-
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12 16 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
I set aside 4 hours today to do interviews, with lans on staying up to 8 if I needed to.

I had 2 applicants show up, neither one had any "Line Cook" or pizza making experience.

We had a great opening weekend after 5 weeks of our spring break.

With our new pay-scale and our "No Tipping" rule, my Saturday crew averaged $20.00 per hour,
Not bad for a line cook , cashier and a dishwasher!

Screw it, it's monday, We're closed today, I'm going home to ride the couch for a few hours.

wow you are having troubles hiring eh.

if you could just fix your gov's silly policy of 2 strikes ya aint welcome policy for us hardened criminals north of you, i'd come there in a heartbeat if it meant a foot in the door to the usa. camper sounds fine as frogs hair to me lol.

"hardened criminal"-----2 minor shoplifting charges from 25 & 26 years ago lol. stupid kid stuff ya know. probation only lol.

strange thing is I've been to the states dozens of times for shopping pre 9/11. but now post 9/11 i'm suddenly not allowed in the country. bunch of b.s. wasted 6 hours at the border one day a few years ago. fingerprints and all were taken.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13 16 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-olllllllo- wrote:
Harry Nutczak wrote:
I set aside 4 hours today to do interviews, with lans on staying up to 8 if I needed to.

I had 2 applicants show up, neither one had any "Line Cook" or pizza making experience.

We had a great opening weekend after 5 weeks of our spring break.

With our new pay-scale and our "No Tipping" rule, my Saturday crew averaged $20.00 per hour,
Not bad for a line cook , cashier and a dishwasher!

Screw it, it's monday, We're closed today, I'm going home to ride the couch for a few hours.

wow you are having troubles hiring eh.

if you could just fix your gov's silly policy of 2 strikes ya aint welcome policy for us hardened criminals north of you, i'd come there in a heartbeat if it meant a foot in the door to the usa. camper sounds fine as frogs hair to me lol.

"hardened criminal"-----2 minor shoplifting charges from 25 & 26 years ago lol. stupid kid stuff ya know. probation only lol.

strange thing is I've been to the states dozens of times for shopping pre 9/11. but now post 9/11 i'm suddenly not allowed in the country. bunch of b.s. wasted 6 hours at the border one day a few years ago. fingerprints and all were taken.

I understand it is much easier to arrive from the southern border these days.
If you're serious, I'll see what I can do to get you a work visa. , you can get hooked up with a very rotund native girl, she can provide heat in the winter and shade in the summer. Very Happy
Heck, i'll smuggle you in. Just grab me some authentic cuban cigars and some Maple Leaf Charcoal and we got a deal
-olllllllo-
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13 16 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the legals weren't such an issue i'd be all over the idea. I know a few years ago the waiver just to be allowed to travel there was $500 so I didn't think that was worth it, lol.

I don't know if you have a great lawyer or not, but that may be what it takes to get a bugger like me allowed to work there.

as for the "rotund native girl", my wife is ............ummm..... not scrawny??? lol she wont hit me if I call her a b***h most days but dunno if I could get away with rotund lmao.

haven't found maple leaf charcoal yet believe it or not. but I do know of a nice lil cigar shop in the big city, lol.

if you want to explore the idea further pm me and we can start figgerin it out.

if not, no big deal it was good for a laff here.

hey wait, wasn't it you thinkin on goin to Norway for a bit? hmmmm sounds like you need a whole new management at that lol. so you can make money while away makin money.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13 16 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-olllllllo- wrote:

hey wait, wasn't it you thinkin on goin to Norway for a bit? hmmmm sounds like you need a whole new management at that lol. so you can make money while away makin money.

Bingo!!

There's a cross country motorcycle ride I want to participate in named the "Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge" that covers 10,000 miles in 13 days on nothing but backroads with no interstate highways,

Of course there is Sturgis, Nashville bike week, Laconia, and other rallies id like to ride my 32 year old V-twin to.

Heck, just a few times I'd like to be able to split after the dinner rush and not be first in, and last out every single day
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Harry, A couple of things. What is your no tipping policy? We only have counter service and tip share. My employees make a 3.00 an hour more and have a vested interest. Second, I take 3 or 4 days off each year and go to the north woods. Most businesses are in the same boat as you. Have to make a living in 4 to 5 months and can't find good help. Many of them do have employee housing and bring staff from around the world. If you go to Sturgis stop by the Presidents monument and see how many kids working there speak with a heavy foreign accent. You're not in Aspen? so I'm sure you could get a farm house on the edge of town to cover your needs with out of towners. Those 4 to 5 days and Christmas day were all I took off last year! We will over double our sales this year. Also Tommy Thompson started the Wisc. reform by making sure there was transition in getting folks off the tit. Keep a carrot in front of them rather than taking everything away if they try to make a go of it and make it so they have to work to get more than the bare minimum. Minnesota has an all or nothing policy and too many folks are taking it all!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No tipping policy;

Buzz Dean (ring member) was telling me about the Delta Diner and their no tipping policy, the lowest paid adult employee sees $15/hour, students see no less than $10/hour.

So I did a little research on it, found it popular on both coasts too. I talked with the owner of the Delta Diner a few times about how it works.

He pays those higher wages by adding a 20% "Service Charge" to all menu items, that amount helps fund ALL EMPLOYEES, not just floor personnel .
By law, tips cannot be divided to back of the house staff.
If he has excess of funds in this account, it is given as bonuses at the end of the year

What we have done instead is to do a 15% service charge, it gets divided equally to all hourly employees on a sliding scale.
So the amount collected for the work week all goes directly to the crew. This way when we get slammed, they get more per hour on each check and I do not need to consult scientists at NASA to compute my real time labor costs.

So, my dishwasher is averaging $14/hour, my main line cook is bouncing between $18-$20/hour this week.

The main reason we implemented this plan was "Income inequality" between employees.

Lets say one of our servers took a phone call and booked a large pick up order for $1,500.00 , they spend 30 minutes or more on the phone with the customer doing this while the other server is making bank with tips while she is not.
the day comes for the customer to pick up that order and pay, and lets say little mary jane Wrottencrotch just clocks in, she happens take the payment, the customer tips $75-$80, who do you think that tip gets assigned to?
Not the person who did all the work booking the order, not the cooks who made and packaged the order, not the support staff cleaning up.

So this system is working for us. I no longer need to bark at my dishwashers to help the servers clear tables with them while making no extra by helping servers do their job.

"Out of town" cheap housing. There is no such thing unless you are at 50-75 miles out of town. Most rental homes in this area, are $1,500/Week tourist rentals. a single bedroom home is typically over $1,000.00/month here. Low income housing is typically retirees who did not plan ahead, or lost their 401K. Trailer parks are geared for 60 years old and higher where you own your trailer, but rent the lot.

There really is no affordable housing in a vacation town, or it's outlying areas. It's not just my town, it is the whole area.

EDITED TO ADD;
eastern european college students as help.
That was common here, but there has been a change in work visa's, they are great for many things, but it is rare that they work out well in a restaurant situation. There are a place or two that uses them, but the employers that use them own apartment building to house them, the students get charged $200.00/week each, and 4-5 will be stuffed into each apartment. it is not a great living situation, but I guess it beats living in Bratislava in the summertime....
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15 16 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, do they pay taxes on the service charges?
What is your base pay for the cook making 18 to 20 an hour?
What do you do for management?

We don't have tip credit here, so I really don't understand why the man has any say on how tips are distributed?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15 16 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qfanatic01 wrote:
So, do they pay taxes on the service charges?
What is your base pay for the cook making 18 to 20 an hour?
What do you do for management?

We don't have tip credit here, so I really don't understand why the man has any say on how tips are distributed?

Base pay for cooks is now between 10-13 depending on their experience level, skill-set and contribution to the workplace, FOH starts at $8 base, as do our dish/deliver staff.

Tonight was "Anything can happen Day" (Thursday) and it was slow. Thursdays are either really busy, or really slow with no happy medium, so due to slower production, the percentage addition was not as much.

Taxes are paid on all income, hourly and the extra included.
And the minimum wage tax credit is federal law, so MN does have it. To be able to claim it correctly, tips need to be reported accurately.
I've terminated people for falsifying their tip amounts, when they clock out, there is a screen on the POS to claim cash tips , If they underreport them, the business makes up for anything under a certain amount, we pay way higher than minimums here, so falsifying tips is basically theft from a business setting. It is the same as falsifying hours worked.

As per federal law;
Tip Pooling/sharing

The FLSA allows tip pooling (or sharing) arrangements among service employees who typically receive tips. For example, waiters may be required to pool their tips with bartenders and bussers for equal disbursement at the end of a shift. Tipped employees may not be compelled to pool tips among employees who do not normally receive tips, including cooks and dishwashers.

http://employment.findlaw.com/wages-and-benefits/tipped-employees-under-the-flsa.html
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16 16 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our minimum wage has gone up 1.00 every August for the last 2 and the last increase will be this August. It is currently 9.00 and we start our staff here at 10.00. We share tips with all and currently at our new location it has been 3.00 plus an hour. My question to the government is "why shouldn't cooks and dishwashers get tipped". I think everyone contributes to the experience!!! I call BS. If employees don't like my way they can work somewhere else. My employees are not indentured.

The biggest BS is that our state now has a surplus on the backs of the higher minimum wage and the incremental increases still leave them as working poor. Meanwhile taking jobs out of the country is now more attractive. And the retiring baby boomers, who won't be getting a 40% raise, now have to figure what they are going to do without. Let the market decide the wages!!

At least we are in the last luxury market. Seems when the economy dips folks still go out to eat. Get ready it's gonna dip again, no matter who gets elected. Our economy is on a 5 to 8 year cycle and we are in year 5.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16 16 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qfanatic01 wrote:
Our minimum wage has gone up 1.00 every August for the last 2 and the last increase will be this August. It is currently 9.00 and we start our staff here at 10.00. We share tips with all and currently at our new location it has been 3.00 plus an hour. My question to the government is "why shouldn't cooks and dishwashers get tipped". I think everyone contributes to the experience!!! I call BS. If employees don't like my way they can work somewhere else. My employees are not indentured.

The biggest BS is that our state now has a surplus on the backs of the higher minimum wage and the incremental increases still leave them as working poor. Meanwhile taking jobs out of the country is now more attractive. And the retiring baby boomers, who won't be getting a 40% raise, now have to figure what they are going to do without. Let the market decide the wages!!

At least we are in the last luxury market. Seems when the economy dips folks still go out to eat. Get ready it's gonna dip again, no matter who gets elected. Our economy is on a 5 to 8 year cycle and we are in year 5.

I agree fully with your sentiments,
just be careful with the tip splitting, if you get a pissed-off floor person, they may be able to rain hell down upon you through legal means.
I have gotten to the point where I document every single late day, every till shortage/overage, every missed day ../..
because if I do not, I could find myself sitting on the wrong side of a courtroom,

A court case just settled in Wisconsin where a judge ruled that continually making mistakes is NOT a reason for termination.
The case involved a cashier at a walgreens, they screwed up the till continually.
The judge stated "Inadvertent mistakes" are acceptable even if they continue to make them.

Imagine that crap! Now we cannot fire incompetent employees no matter how many times they get warned.

And people wonder why I want out......................
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21 16 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have waitstaff. We have a counter like Subway or Panera. Everyone rotates the service counter, running food and clearing dining room.
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21 16 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:

A court case just settled in Wisconsin where a judge ruled that continually making mistakes is NOT a reason for termination.
The case involved a cashier at a walgreens, they screwed up the till continually.
The judge stated "Inadvertent mistakes" are acceptable even if they continue to make them.

Imagine that crap! Now we cannot fire incompetent employees no matter how many times they get warned....

But let.someone mess up building a Judges chambers or his courtroom and see how fast that it gets corrected. It's easy for them to rule one way or another until they have to live with it. I guarantee you if the bailiff brought the wrong prisoners into his court room.more than once he wouldn't find that "acceptable"

I feel for you Harry.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We actually had a few decent applicants show up, (2 to be exact) our of 50 or so who applied.
I had one person apply for a cashier position, she has not worked since 2003, she has a very long string of arrests for retail theft, regular theft, theft of prescription drugs, burglary, obtaining a prescription under false pretenses are just the ones that stood out on her court records, I know for a fact she has multiple convictions in neighboring states too
she's spent 80% of each year in jail, she gets out, she gets caught stealing again, Her name was in the paper for another theft just days after she applied here.
I think i'm going to need to pass on this one.

I've got a cook I am bringing on with quite a lengthy history. Nothing major, just some hell-raising .
On one arrest, he got 37 counts of criminal destruction of property. a whole bunch of disorderly conduct and obstructing charges. I can deal with rowdiness, I cannot deal with thievery!

I'm still waiting for the person with multiple arson convictions to apply, they'll be hired on the spot, then they'll be my 3rd shift baker working solo & unsupervised from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM

I have not seen many "Special little snowflakes" apply, It may be because my classified add's stated "Special little snowflakes need not apply"
-olllllllo-
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmfao and im not allowed in the country due to my extreme criminal history.

too bad eh, I baked for 14 years and cooked for 12. lol
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-olllllllo- wrote:

Arson convictions by chance?

You guys don't let people in who got a DWI, so it looks like that goes both ways.
And here we are welcoming over 200K non-vetted middle easterners, DefuQ?
-olllllllo-
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
-olllllllo- wrote:

Arson convictions by chance?

You guys don't let people in who got a DWI, so it looks like that goes both ways.
And here we are welcoming over 200K non-vetted middle easterners, DefuQ?

nahh 2 shoplifting a lonnng ass time ago.

dunno bout the dwi personally.
as for the 200k my best guess is theres no proper records to check, therefore they get a free slate cleaning on entry lol.

we do the same crap here eh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: