FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any video camera tech guys here.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25 16 6:44 am    Post subject: Any video camera tech guys here. Reply with quote

Hey guys looking for some help.....I know I have some camera skillz but I want to be able to post some small videos.
I know crap about video....I went and bought an entry level camcorder which has decent reviews for the price point.

This one... http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/camcorders/hd-camcorders/hc-v160.html

My problem is it has three shooting modes .....AVCHD....iFrame.....MP4....
I shot a small video in all three settings....was not happy with the quality of iFrame and MP4......
AVCHD seemed to be the best but my computer fails to recognize the file format.....and will not open it.
I really dont want to post crap video....but what do i need to open and edit AVCHD format in windows 10.

I watched a ton of videos on you tube that showed it producing much better quality video than what I have.....what am i doing wrong.

I could just be a total dumb azz....
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25 16 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What video editing software do you have on your Windows 10 machine or are you at the point trying to decide what software to use?
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25 16 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike im lost at the moment...I did get my computer to play AVCHD format but I cant get photobucket to accept it....seems like everyone prefers MP4.
I really dont see any real editing programs on my computer...couple programs that play video is about all.
Any recommendations of downloading something free that will let me edit and add some music.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
LIAR #25
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 16 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, I'd give Movie Maker a try.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/movie-maker

This is what I've used and it's pretty straight forward and easy to use for just casual movie editing. I do know it handles AVCHD and you should be able to save out your video in a format compatible with YouTube, PhotoBucket, etc.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 16 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Mike iI am getting much closer to my goal.....Movie maker is working out nicely.....
I just cant figure out why it took 45 minutes to upload and process my 1:07 minute video.
This is just a experimental video I took to try and figure stuff out....
still not as clear as I would like but Im working on that.....thanks a ton for your help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXtzOCZWa04
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
LIAR #25
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 16 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool video and rockin' tunes. You did great!!!

Yeah, uploads can be a real beatch and it all depends on how much YouTube throttles things down and that depends on how many folks are uploading at the time + whatever your ISP will allow for upload bandwidth. They (YouTube) also will doctor your video for you to take out any shakiness and that can take quite some time.

You can check out your Internet upload speeds here to see if the issue is on your end; http://www.speedtest.net/ I got Roadrunner Turbo and I'm lucky if I can get much over 2 MBS on uploads.

Glad that Movie Maker worked out for you.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 16 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB looks pretty clear and sound is sharp. get off dial-up it may help Wink Laughing Wink
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27 16 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Video, Rick! Cool

Looks as if Your Crops Will be a Bountiful Harvest Soon! Laughing

Lookin' Forward to More of Your Cinematic Skills, Brother! Wink

Best Regards,

Tony
Very Happy
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25 16 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVCHD is a non symmetrical video compression format. It means the camera doesn't have to do a lot of crunching to record it. On the flipside, your computer has to do a lot of work unpacking the video at the other end. The benefit of avchd is the camera can focus on recording the best possible picture, at the cost of a large file size and the difficulties once you get the video onto your computer.

It sounds like you're getting somewhere with Windows movie maker. That's great. One of the choices when outputting your finished video is the Quality. I world experiment with saving your video at different qualities and compare the results until you find what you're happy with. Personally I find 720p at 8-10Mbps to be a good compromise between quality and not wanting it to take forever to upload.

Mbps (megabits per second) is a measurement of how much disk space the video eats up. Divide by 8 and you get megabytes per second of finished video. If you made a 60 second at video 8 Mbps, it would be 60 MB.

You'll notice a few presets above, but you can also do a custom setting like this:

That's 1280 x 720 (720p) with 10 Mbps (10,000 Kbps divided by 1,000) bit rate. Only thing is he put 15 frames power per second. This would make the video choppy. I'd make it 30 frames per second not 15!

Video editing is a slow and frustrating process for the best video editors. It typically takes me 10 hours to edit a one hour video if I spend the time to fix up the sound and add titles.

A lot of people say they want to do Videos but few actually stick with it to the point of posting them on a regular basis. If you can do that, even if they aren't perfect, that's all that matters. It's more about patience and sticktuitiveness than being any kind of expert.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 16 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help feldon30....I think this info is going to help me out a lot....it took me one hour almost to upload that video to youtube.
I am a total newb at video.....but I am a quick learner with a good teacher....thanks for your help.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
LIAR #25
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11 16 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is about compression. I shoot with a GoPro and a Nikon and the GoPro has to be converted before anything possible can be done with the video. While many people want that cinema quality their computer just can't handle the compression and data storage size of today's modern videos formats. To solve some of this I would suggest shooting in 720p at 30 fps. If you shoot at 1080i it will be larger but you only get every other frame. 1080p will give you both frames but the storage and time to download is quite a bit. Next, you have got to remember that camera formats are designed for cameras and the raw data is not too compressed. When you transfer it to a computer and choose a different format it takes time to compress, encode and then decode the new format to be played. Each one of those steps take just a bit from the quality of final product. Finally, YouTube has filters and settings of their own that again will take just a bit from the final product. On the Youtube setting don't even try for full screen, if you do then it will try and blow up the pixels to meet your requirements. This is where you find that the video really starts to look terrible.

I normally shoot in 1080p and scale it down or crop it to 720p to take care of some of the compression problems. I use Cyberlink Power Director that can be pricy but if you are in the military or know a teacher then you can get it for up to 75% off. Power Director takes a little time to learn but I bought the complete suite so all 5 programs are integrated with each other. One of the cool features is the sync of multiple cameras. I have three GoPros, a Nikon, and a Pentax camera. I set all three to record at the same speed and definition but at different angles. I then allow the computer software to sync all video and audio inputs and then use cuts and fades to produce a multi camera segment that looks like I had five cameramen and a full blown production studio.

The second mistake many people make is choosing the best quality audio. Unless you are creating a movie soundtrac .... just scale it down a bit to save on time and space. I use Acoustica to mix my own soundtracks with smartsound then add them to the soundtrack in powerdirector.

Just keep trying different settings until you find the one you like best.
pyper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11 16 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always record avchd.

I use Sony Movie Studio to edit my videos. It's not free, and it takes some effort to learn, but it's pretty powerful. It's really good for when you want to put multiple videos together, edit audio separate, and mix in stills. It seems to be able to do pretty much anything you see on TV or in a movie.

There's a free program called handbrake that you can use to convert any videos into web friendly formats. The documentation isn't clear, but you need to be careful about specifying the paths of the files or it will give you a cryptic error.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: