FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do y'all hold ribs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
berger

PostPosted: Sun May 01 16 6:44 pm    Post subject: How do y'all hold ribs? Reply with quote

How do y'all hold your ribs throughout the course of the day?

I've not had a whole lot of complaints, but this guy last night was a jerk about it and got under my skin. I've been holding everything in a proofer box (I use a proofer because it puts moisture in the air to help from drying out, in my opinion). These ribs he complained about hadn't been off the smoker but two hours tops.

I've been doing two run of ribs and chicken at least a day to serve fresh product. I've got an SPK500 and theoretically could go down to one run and hold everything on the smoker and less in the hotbox, but not convenient.

I am not wrapping the ribs at any point, so that is an option I may need to consider. But, I figure someone might be able to shed some light as to what may be a solution.

Thanks in advance.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 02 16 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was his complaint?

I hold in CVAP's. but I run my ribs across a broiler before serving them to get some color back
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 05 16 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was his complaint? I use Alto-shaams and if you read my post on the sticky above I think it still says a lot about the realities of BBQ. We can't realistically have fresh BBQ coming out of the smoker for every customer. Some people just don't understand the reality of running the average neighborhood joint! And some people are just a-holes!
Shotgun Petes
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 26 16 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cook spares (St Louis cut) on the smoker for about 3 or 4 hours, then tightly wrap each rack individually in two layers of heavy foil and hold in the Alto-Sham at around 140 - 150 degrees. I don't pull all the ribs from the smoker at once. I move the remaining ribs to a cooler "holding spot" in the grill until needed. These ribs are not wrapped. Every-time I check the smoker I hit all the meats in it with a sprayer filled with half Worcestershire and half apple cider vinegar. Don't over-load the Alto Sham with more ribs than you can sell fairly quick. They will hold quite a while but if hot held too long they start getting dark and will get either too tough or too mushy. It's not fool proof. You will just have to play around till you see what works best for you and your equipment.

"If you can't BBQ with the Big Dogs, back away from the Pit!"

SHOTGUN PETE'S BBQ SHACK
28 N Ninth St
COLUMBIA, MO

(Downtown across from The Blue Note)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: