FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rib-Eyes on the Lodge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MossyMO
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 01 16 11:19 pm    Post subject: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge Reply with quote

First time trying out the Lodge, grilled some Tatonka Dusted rib-eyes.

-----

Not too bad for the first try... served with a hash brown casserole and crab stuffed mushrooms.

-----

Thanks for looking!
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 01 16 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys out there seem to really like the Tatonka Dust on just about everything. What's so special about it?
MossyMO
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 02 16 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
You guys out there seem to really like the Tatonka Dust on just about everything. What's so special about it?

Tatonka Dust seasoning is a product my wife and I developed over 5 years ago so I may a little partial and not a good person to ask... but I will say as far as flavor and uniqueness, it has plenty of both! ... Very Happy
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 02 16 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good looking cook there Mossymo. That's a good looking meal.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 02 16 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MossyMO wrote:
BigOrson wrote:

Tatonka Dust seasoning is a product my wife and I developed over 5 years ago so I may a little partial and not a good person to ask... but I will say as far as flavor and uniqueness, it has plenty of both! ... Very Happy

Can I buy a small bottle to try it out? I always like to support home-grown start-ups. Doesn't need any fancy packaging (FDA regs are a real hoop), just a sample in a zipper bag to try out on about 4 chops or so.
MossyMO
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 03 16 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
MossyMO wrote:
BigOrson wrote:

Can I buy a small bottle to try it out? I always like to support home-grown start-ups. Doesn't need any fancy packaging (FDA regs are a real hoop), just a sample in a zipper bag to try out on about 4 chops or so.

Most certainly, always appreciate the small business support from our customers! It has been selling outrageously well since we had it packaged and available for retail a little over 3 1/2 years ago. It is available in a shaker and also both one and three pound bags at www.OwensBBQ.com
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 04 16 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order sent. A rub with a worcestershire powder base really appeals to me. Made a BBQ sauce similar, but didn't have the money to float it out in the market. I still make Voodoocue at home, but the price point can't compete with SBR or the other commercial products. Looking forward to trying it.
MossyMO
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 05 16 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
Order sent. A rub with a worcestershire powder base really appeals to me. Made a BBQ sauce similar, but didn't have the money to float it out in the market. I still make Voodoocue at home, but the price point can't compete with SBR or the other commercial products. Looking forward to trying it.

Thanks for you your support and looking forward to you trying Tatonka Dust seasoning! We never tried mixing and selling from home, soon as we come up with the seasoning we (wife & I) contacted a co-packer as we were confident the flavor would sell the product. A co-packer cuts the work and cost immensely as they are able to purchase ingredients in much larger amounts. If we would have mixed and packaged from home the product would have failed from being substantially overpriced on the retail market.
TX727
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 05 16 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossy, I do have a question, and this is my only slight complaint about the product. I've been using it for about a year now. Bought the shaker first, then ended up getting a 3 LB bag. I use it on a lot of things I smoke/grill...

But damn does it clump. I even keep it stored in another air tight container but that doesn't seem to help. Is this normal or do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Proud member of the "Easy Bake Oven and Old Milwaukee Clubâ„¢" since 2013
----------------------------------------
Weber 1 touch gold 22.5-Big Blue
MES 30" Digital
MossyMO
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TX727 wrote:
Mossy, I do have a question, and this is my only slight complaint about the product. I've been using it for about a year now. Bought the shaker first, then ended up getting a 3 LB bag. I use it on a lot of things I smoke/grill...

But damn does it clump. I even keep it stored in another air tight container but that doesn't seem to help. Is this normal or do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Depending on how old the 3lb bag is, it may be normal. When we first came out with the Tatonka Dust we didn't have an anti-caking agent in the mix.... this clumped up really bad. We have since added an anti-caking agent into the mix and that has solved the issue. If it is the older mix storing it in the fridge seems to help with the clumping.
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 07 16 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promise Mossy, I'm going to be ordering some soon, as well as some of your sausage mixes. I just haven't had the time to sit down and figure out which sausage/snack sticks I'm going to make.

I'm like Big O, and love to support the mom and pop guys for rubs and sauces.

An interesting note, I had a feed come across my Facebook page yesterday of a seasoning called Hardcore Carnivore Black, which looks to be similar to Tatonka Dust!
Weber 22.5 Performer
MossyMO
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 07 16 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat797 wrote:
I promise Mossy, I'm going to be ordering some soon, as well as some of your sausage mixes. I just haven't had the time to sit down and figure out which sausage/snack sticks I'm going to make.

I'm like Big O, and love to support the mom and pop guys for rubs and sauces.

An interesting note, I had a feed come across my Facebook page yesterday of a seasoning called Hardcore Carnivore Black, which looks to be similar to Tatonka Dust!

I noticed that seasoning about a week ago. I sent a friend request to the person advertising the seasoning but it hasn't been accepted. My wife and I consider their production of a similar seasoning a compliment!
IXL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22 16 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you guys are talking about Jesse Pryles?
IXL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22 16 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MossyMo, how do you like the Lodge? I've been considering adding one to my cookers.
MossyMO
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22 16 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IXL wrote:
I guess you guys are talking about Jesse Pryles?

Yes

IXL wrote:
MossyMo, how do you like the Lodge? I've been considering adding one to my cookers.

I like it, made to last a life time and very portable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: