FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are your warehouse / takeout supply costs running

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chefdavid

PostPosted: Sat May 07 16 12:19 am    Post subject: Where are your warehouse / takeout supply costs running Reply with quote

Hi I am a constant reader of these forums and thank everyone for all the great information being put forth all the time.

I just wanted to see where others who operate a takeout style raunt were running with they're costs on credit card and what I call warehouse supplies (takeout, chem, paper towels).

I own a small place that has been closed for a few months due to a fire as a result of a careless flu instillation for my smoker. In the down time I have been drilling into my P&L and trying to find a way to shave some points off and increase profits. No sit down all takeout butcher shop, bbq, gourmet sandwiches.

My takeout supplies are running 3.94%

Creditcard costs running 1.74% of ttl sales (65% are credit tansactions) call it 3% of the credit transaction

Thanks in advance. David
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat May 07 16 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You always have the option of increasing prices to compensate for the cost of disposables.

My issue was with chemical usage, I had a guy who I swore was drinking my cleaning chemicals, or smuggling them out of the building.
The guy was wantonly wasting my very expensive cleaning formulas.

I solved that by pre-mixing to the proper concentrations and using a 2-gallon weed-sprayer to use them.
My chemical supplier thought I changed suppliers because of such a huge decrease in usage
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat May 07 16 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a food truck, our daily sales are 100% take-out!
I make a bi-weekly run to Restaurant Depot - they flat out smoke any sysco etc on clamshells [ $9.99 for a 150 count case ] , paper boats, napkins etc. Easily pays for the gas [ and hour each way ] If no R/D near you, sam's has always been better than any of my regular suppliers too. We use A LOT of clamshells on weekdays, A LOT of boats at festivals etc.
As far as cleaning - I use bleach.....Dollar store bleach!! It is twice the strength of chlorox etc, and over half the price!
I have had several inspectors tell me they have no idea why 'raunts use those fancy chemicals, as they cannot do any better than bleach, they only cost more! There may be reasons I am unaware of, but at $1.00 / gallon, and double strength of most any brand / sysco type label, its a no brainer here!!
One inspector even told me they have seen the 5 gallon buckets of the expensive stuff sitting there next to sinks, dishwasher etc. and told owner to just fill it with bleach and adjust mix accordingly![ I dont have any fancy set-up like that so any of you who do would know more than I on blend mix[??] ] but they are all insistent they cannot possibly do more killing of bacteria than bleach, they just kill checkbooks and make higher % for the guy who sold it to them's paycheck!
Asfar as degreasers, Purple Power is my new go to for baked on smoke on pans, equipment, even grease on the floor. Even my recent issue with someone bursting my pit into a ball of flames...I sprayed the interior with the stuff, let it sit overnight and everything scraped right off!! [ Then had a pro fire damage co. come in - clean spotless and neutralize ]
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat May 07 16 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:

I have had several inspectors tell me they have no idea why 'raunts use those fancy chemicals, as they cannot do any better than bleach, they only cost more!

Then I'm over here with my inspector saying "I'd like to see you using Quat sanitizers"
And me saying NO!
bleach is better, cheaper, and easier and cheaper to test the concentration, plus I like the smell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: