FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New custom grill

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dkelsey56436

PostPosted: Mon May 02 16 6:39 pm    Post subject: New custom grill Reply with quote

Hey guys,

To preface, I've never welded or worked with metal like this, but I have a friend willing to help me! I've always wanted to learn to weld and somehow came across this beauty. http://fab.com/product/hibachi-grill-1872-146177
I immediately thought this would be a perfect starter project to learn. I'm open to changing things, which I will, so I'm looking for input. One major change in is building it square, since we have no way of rolling that metal. Here are my plans, 1/4" stainless steel rods for the cooking surface, 14g. metal exterior, expanded metal for the coal grate and built with two "sections" of 18"x2' (so 18"x4 total). I have always used a lid on my grills before and obviously this has no lid. Along with all suggestions and opinions, I'm also wondering if it would be worth it to build lids or just accustom myself to cooking without one. Anyway, what do you all think? I also have a stand alone smoker, so I'm not going to be doing any indirect cooking on it.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 02 16 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lid would be a good idea especially if you have any flareups.

I can't believe the price on that Hibachi grill Shocked
Dkelsey56436

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about it some and think I'll come up with detached lids to ease construction and prevent wear on hinged parts. And yes, that's an insane cost. It's about twice the size of what I've described and weighs a whopping 350lbs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: