FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couple of questions for you pros

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H@rry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11 16 2:10 am    Post subject: Couple of questions for you pros Reply with quote

When you do comps where do you get your meat? Can you use the meat from places like Sams or do you need to go to a butcher shop. If you go to the butcher shop what do you ask for? I'm talking butts, ribs, and chicken.

Also, I see people mention "calls" in reference to something in comp cooking. What is a "call"?

Thanx
H@rry
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11 16 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Couple of questions for you pros Reply with quote

H@rry wrote:
When you do comps where do you get your meat? Can you use the meat from places like Sams or do you need to go to a butcher shop.

You can buy your meat from any business that you want, you may trim meat at home before a competition, but you must not, rub, marinade, or cure the meat prior to it being inspected at the competition site.

Quote:
If you go to the butcher shop what do you ask for? I'm talking butts, ribs, and chicken.

Boston Butt for the Pork, Spare ribs, St Louis trimmed Spare ribs, loin back ribs, or baby back ribs, Chickens, leg quarters, thighs. For the most part what you want depends on the competition sanctioning body, KCBS has different requirements than, IBCA, so tell us what the sanctioning body is for better details, it also depends on what you cook well, and what you like to prepare, I would buy Spare ribs, and trim them myself St Louis style, but some folks don't like the extra work, and will pay the money to have the butcher trim them, or cook loin or baby back ribs for their preference.

Quote:
Also, I see people mention "calls" in reference to something in comp cooking. What is a "call"?

Thanx
H@rry

A "call" is when your turn in was good enough to get a place 1st - 10th, (and your team name gets "called"), and a "walk" is when you get a place and prize, (and you "walk" up to the stage to collect them). Calls are good, walks are great!

I still work here!
H@rry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11 16 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the reply. I was just wondering if you need a quality of meat not easily obtained from a place like Sams. That's where I buy most of my meat.

I'm not intending to actually compete but I want to whet my back yard skills and wanted to make sure that the meat itself was not a "stumbling block".
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11 16 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a lot of competition meat at Sam's or CostCo, very occasionally I would get something special for a higher paying competition, or if I had someone that wanted to sponsor us for a specific competition.

I still work here!
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11 16 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're feeling like you need to spend a little money, you can go here --> http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11 16 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont do a lot of competitions, but do a few, but also sell BBQ at many. I have sold the exact briskets I cook to competitors, [ raw ] who have placed quite well with them - even winning brisket and GC, beating the guy's with SRF etc. I have done the same with ribs. I have paid over $50 for 'competition" chicken flown in - did very well with it, but then the next comp I did I went to the local pick n save and found similar quality / size and had other competitors ask where I got the great looking chicken!!!
Good meat is good meat, no matter where it comes from!!
A cute story : We have a VERY high end $$$$$ grocer chain [ of 3 stores ] in our area with a phenomenal name/ reputation - floors are carpeted, isles are spaced VERY wide..Will special order you ANYTHING etc - Well, I was in restaurant depot one day when they kept calling the manager over the P.A. to finish filling the order for said grocery store!!
Look for marbling in the beef, no matter the grade, look for thick ribs and butt's that have not been 'enhanced' [ injected with salt water ] and bigger pcs of chicken that is well cut with all the skin in place and you will be cooking 'competition' type meats!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11 16 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We buy our ribs and chickens locally. Briskets are bought from Creekstone Farms or when the local store has primes that look decent we buy them.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: