FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My 1st smoker (picture heavy)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 08 16 4:28 am    Post subject: My 1st smoker (picture heavy) Reply with quote

I was thumbing thru a bunch of files and found several the wife took as I was building my first smoker. I built this one without much help except for what I learned helping friends back in TX.

My goal was to build something that held heat and I could set and leave for several hours for overnight cooks. Before learning about "minion" fires and calculators I just built this to have something that worked better for me than the Chargrillers from Home Depot I was using and having to constantly feed to keep a decent temp, and that would spike crazy hot.

I can get this one to have such a light blue smoke that it is hard to see. I can also overload it and it smokes worse than a cheap pipe.. Very Happy

Since this one I have built more and have made vast improvements, but I thought it would be alright to post this one,,,,
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 08 16 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out with a OLD air compressor, I left the name plate on cause it thought it would be cool..

I should have done a lot more sanding (like the whole thing lot more) prior to putting legs and other parts on..

I needed a backstop for the lid so I thought I would decorate it up a bit..

I then started on the fire box. I found a 26 gallon compressor tank to use and not wanting to mess up the cuts, I opted to put a chimney on it to feed into the CC..

I built up the connection point so as not to burn thru the tank when welding the chimney (which is 1/4" thick). Knowing I was learning to weld still as I went

a little paint..

Cut a hole in the CC and after a lot of struggling adn the help of the wife and a ratchet strap (didnt have a clamp big enough to hold the tank) I started welding the FB in place

I left the screw caps in place for future airflow if needed. i use the one on the FB to start fires and close it off when setting up a 6 hr burn

Some paint on the CC and the counter weight added for the lid

Test burn, grill portion prior to adding FB,,,

The chargriller had the 2" exhaust, so thats what I used, I put on the little stubby and I know if I would need to add length. So with a coupler I could put on different length pipes until I found out what worked best

final paint job, still not done...

Discovered that 500° paint doesnt hold up on a FB, also added two 1/2" pipes to the bottom portion of the pit and some tires. The pipes work as wheelbarrow type handles so I can move this beast around the yard. when in place a few 2X12 fastened together makes for a nice side table

Inside I put an adjustable damper on the chimney to close it down when it gets to hot, built my grates (#9 3/4 expanded metal on 1/2" angle); NOW I know better and just close the FB door, but nice to have to have if I decide to shut it down.

I dont have a good pic, but I also put in a trap door on the bottom of the CC for a clean out place. I keep a little ash on top to seal it off and it works great. NO smoke leaks from it.

I had added wood at this point and choked it down to take a pic with the smoke rolling - thought it would make a good pic, but now I know better. But it does show the normal exhaust pipe for this time of year.

A more "normal cook" this is last christmas and I had a couple of briskets on; rainy and cold but it was bopping along at nice 225 all night

Then February hit and every South TX person I know hates this site...

Not that it stopped me..

I have had great success with it, even though it doesnt follow all the rules of a traditional offset. I have learned what it takes to keep her going and for me, it works. My next builds I took what learned from my mistakes on this one and a lot of what I learned from the GREAT folks on this forum.

My "minion" (sure hope I am getting that right) fire after 2 hours

This was my major goal, to be able to build it and let it go for at least 4-6 hours. The only way it works is to use kiln dried mesquite built with the fire on top and loaded to the brim. Then shut the door down to just a crack, open the bottom hatch (3" cutout) and close the back clean-out cap.

I may post another thread with other builds to share more mistakes for others to learn by. Maybe even a few good ideas too.

Thanks for looking,

Chris

OH yeah,,, it turns out pretty darn good brisket...

Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 08 16 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that. I think I share your enthusiasm for trying new things. A lot of time some of those things don't work out and then it's back to the drawing board. I believe that's where you get an education and can improve on the next one. If you can get thin blue smoke and long fuel time then it sounds like you achieved your goal.
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 08 16 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smokin Mike.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 09 16 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice walk down memory lane Cool
Brisket looks spot on.
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 09 16 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Maniac. Very Happy
biker.chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 14 16 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great.
How big is the opening from the firebox to the smoker?
From the pics it looks small but obviously it works.

just asking ... not that I'd know anyway...
EAT BACON
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 14 16 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 5"X5" square tubing connecting the two. I have the "chimney" at a slight angle and comes in at the top of the FB. I think that it comes up like that is helping the draft. Dont know for sure, but I like to think so.

I have a damper on the chimney but really only use it when shutting down the FB.

Thanks,
Pete-O the great

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16 16 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that.... Nice Job!!!
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16 16 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete. Very Happy
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17 16 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: