FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some help on a small RF cooker (long post)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nunan0219

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01 16 8:43 am    Post subject: Need some help on a small RF cooker (long post) Reply with quote

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on. Got hurt shortly after finishing my last big smoker, was out of work for 4 months and took me about another 5 of PT to get back to where I could work after work. Then I hurt my back and was out of doing anything after work for another 3 months. So I'm finally back to work, running a new shop and at a new house, and finally getting back to a project I started over a year ago.

Quick specs, it's a 33 gallon air compressor tank (roughly 18"x33"), a 100 lbs propane tank for the FB (18"x14 3/4"),
a 16"x4" exhaust pipe (based off of Feldons). My measurement from the top of the cooking grate to top of the cooker is roughly 8", from the grate to the RF baffle is 4.5" at the highest point (pitched towards drain). The opening at the end of my RF plate in the CC is a half moon shape, with a 17" D its roughly 5 1/4" high. The cook chamber to firebox opening is almost like an eyelid shape, and that opening is 12"x6".

Here's my questions/where I need help. I ran it yesterday to do a burnout, but I monitored temps with my digitial thermometers and I was almost 70* apart. Also, I think I made too big of a fire because trying to get it down to 250, I had to basically close the door (my intake is another question I have). Now, I ran it for about a half hour and the temps were slowly evening out but I dont know if they'd continue to even out. I'm going to try to make a smaller fire this time and see if I can manage it better. Are there any better ways/techniques to only get to 250 instead of the almost 500* I was hitting with my test fire.

I'm stuck with my intake. I don't know what to do with it in concerns of shape/size and location. I know roughly what size I need it to be, but just not sure what I should do. Right now I'm just using the door as the damper, but I think even with it cracked it might be too much air. Any ideas or suggestions?

Also, I'm just attaching pictures of it. Any suggestions of what to do differently? This was just a build i did to get back into the swing of things, used what I had laying around instead of buying anything. Any suggestions would be awesome, Thanks.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y485/verdi219/Smokers/20160630_184657_zpsywqjuhaf.jpg

Also, I know the tank is a little off. My first time trying to join the two tanks, and I did it up on my bench and never checked it after tacking it like an idiot. Its only off a slight bit, but just enough to annoy me.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01 16 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well your on the right track with too big a fire causing uneven temps.
#1 Small cooker needs a small coal base to operate.
#2 Be happy with somewhat even numbers on a small cooker remember you are working with a small area so even temps will be tough to achieve.
For your intakes make a lower box on the firebox sides like I helped design for a couple of other members.
http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67733&start=20

http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54247&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=whiteboycustom&start=0

Hybrid Cooker
nunan0219

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01 16 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome Kevin thank you. I was going to do something similar to that intake, but never thought of making it lower. I figured I'd post and ask for an opinion before I sliced another hole in it lol. I appreciate the fast response!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01 16 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help. Very Happy I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
nunan0219

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12 16 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well she's all finished. Only thing I am going to add is a slightly higher lip at the firebox side, because unless it's pitched right when cleaning it has the possibility of having a grease fire. But, otherwise she's running well and holding Temps nicely. On to the next build.

Thanks again kam for the help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: