FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grate or not?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27 16 8:40 am    Post subject: Grate or not? Reply with quote

I would assume that a grate is totally necessary for charcoal but what about stick burners? Anyone ever go grateless? Results?
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27 16 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO a grate is most important for proper air fuel mix and consistent results. the flat grate works but on my next one it will be V shaped to keep coals condensed for a small hotter fire. will keep watching for other replies.
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27 16 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned and heated with several different wood stoves/inserts/furnaces over the years. Currently have a fireplace insert with no grate. Was quite surprized at the efficiency, how long fire lasts, how complete the burn is. Ash removal is slightly annoying.

I considered the "V" thing too with fire brick on the sides.

I have time to tinker. Trying to come up with ways to make this next smoker as efficient as possible.

Curious if there are any commercially built units that don't use a grate. Has anyone has actually used one, store bought or homemade?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27 16 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a grate especially in a closed environment like a firebox when you are trying to keep your temps between 250° and 275° it just burns cleaner. I know some folks that cook hotter say 275° to 325° like the fire on the floor and it works for them. I would use what works best for you. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28 16 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
I prefer a grate especially in a closed environment like a firebox when you are trying to keep your temps between 250° and 275° it just burns cleaner. I know some folks that cook hotter say 275° to 325° like the fire on the floor and it works for them. I would use what works best for you. Very Happy

Good explanation - Thanks
The Midnight Smoker BBQ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01 17 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm coming into this a little late but I have wondered about the need for using a grate myself. I see Franklin does not use one and I have wanted to try it to see how it works for me but I am a bit concerned about the fire burning directly on the floor of the firebox. I have a Lang so its 1/4" steel so should it be okay? No burnout?
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01 17 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak directly about the effect on cooker floors but I do have a lot of experience with wood burning furnaces, inserts, etc. It is unlikely that the floor is going to burn up. I think the worst damage would be done by leaving ash buildup. A little bit of moisture and you get an acid that will eat the metal quickly.

With that said i woulds defer to KAM's advise. It would be more about air flow and control than burnout IMO.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01 17 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smootz wrote:
I can't speak directly about the effect on cooker floors but I do have a lot of experience with wood burning furnaces, inserts, etc. It is unlikely that the floor is going to burn up. I think the worst damage would be done by leaving ash buildup. A little bit of moisture and you get an acid that will eat the metal quickly.

With that said i woulds defer to KAM's advise. It would be more about air flow and control than burnout IMO.

Good answer smootz.
As far as the grate goes, burning on the bottom of the pipe firebox works for Franklin probably because of the way his cooker is built. My advice is try it if it works for you great if not try a fire grate. Wink

Hybrid Cooker
The Midnight Smoker BBQ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02 17 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
smootz wrote:

Good answer smootz.
As far as the grate goes, burning on the bottom of the pipe firebox works for Franklin probably because of the way his cooker is built. My advice is try it if it works for you great if not try a fire grate. Wink

Thanks Guys. Im going to give it a try just to see what kind of results I get. Then I wont have to wonder about it anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: