FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

start time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toynaround

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27 17 6:13 am    Post subject: start time Reply with quote

Newbie question here. What are peoples preference, wait to add ribs to the smoker once up to temp? or put them in the smoker while the smoker is warming up ?

thanks

peter
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27 17 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never rush it. My cookers are gonna be stable when the meat goes on.

Hybrid Cooker
toynaround

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27 17 6:22 am    Post subject: start time Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:

thanks, my only thought was if you put them on right away and at a lower temp wouldnt you get a better smoke ring and the chance to add more smoke flavor since it the ribs will be subject to more smoke at a lower temp?

peter
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27 17 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to bring my cooker up to temp and let it run for a few minutes until its a the stable running temp I am going to cook with....
then my ribs,brisket or butt is placed in the cooker.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27 17 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use charcoal, and a separate smoke generator, so we load cold, with the smoke generator running, then allow the temp to come up.
Of coarse if you don't have a stable smoker that you know won't overshoot then its probably not a good idea to start cold. I like the added smoke time, its sort of like cold smoking for a short period.
Keep in mind your safe zone time for food temp also, making sure the time the meat is below safe temp is within your smoker startup time.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27 17 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: start time Reply with quote

toynaround wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

thanks, my only thought was if you put them on right away and at a lower temp wouldnt you get a better smoke ring and the chance to add more smoke flavor since it the ribs will be subject to more smoke at a lower temp?

peter

I get plenty of smoke flavor. Lower temps in a cooker can also spell cold stale smoke while your cooker heats up to create a draft and that is not smoke I want on my meat.

Hybrid Cooker
toynaround

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27 17 9:41 pm    Post subject: cold smoke Reply with quote

I dont have any issues with getting and maintaining temp nor creating a draft using my Backwoods Fatboy and BBQ Guru. In a way its easier with my system to load it up and as it predictably runs to my desired temp i dont have to open the smoker until i want to baste. if i wait and open the smoker once at temp, load the ribs, the temp drops significantly and all im doing is requiring the smoker to go back up to temp again. but i have wondered if the cold smoke has been producing a bitter taste so next time i will try loading the ribs once up to temp.

peter
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27 17 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bring my cookers up to temp and let it stabilize before I add my meat. Its my opinion but I don't think you can start with a cold smoker full of meat and bring it up to temp without getting the stale smoke that KAM mentioned. If you are getting a bitter taste or flavor I think it will change if you bring your cooker up to temp before adding your meat.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
biker.chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30 17 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brutus1964 wrote:
I bring my cookers up to temp and let it stabilize before I add my meat. Its my opinion but I don't think you can start with a cold smoker full of meat and bring it up to temp without getting the stale smoke that KAM mentioned. If you are getting a bitter taste or flavor I think it will change if you bring your cooker up to temp before adding your meat.

Just another guy agreeing that you need to get the smoker up to temp and a good smoke before adding meat.
I think this is one of the most important steps in smoking.
EAT BACON
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: