FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keeping food warm for a party ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timmer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03 17 9:17 am    Post subject: Keeping food warm for a party ? Reply with quote

Doing Bbq for 200. Brisket and pulled pork. Having to transport it a few hours from cook point. Going to vacuum bag it to transport. Best way to reheat and hold till party ? Appreciate any ideas ? Think 10 lbs butts and two large briskets enough ? First time feeding this many.
timmer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03 17 9:30 am    Post subject: correction Reply with quote

4 -10/12 butts and 2 large briskets
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03 17 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you plan on the group being served per person? Is this a family reunion...serve yourself? Is it a catering...you portion & serve?

I don't think you're estimating enough.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03 17 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're gonna max at 20 people per 12# butt & 25 people per 15# brisket...at 6oz sevings...and that's if you take control of the portioning.
timmer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04 17 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to be for a wedding reception. Food for later following a meal served at 6pm. Big party lots of alcohol probably. Gonna be a buffet line serve yourself. Wanna feed them before some drive home. Most staying in a Hotel adjoining but doesnt offer food of any type after 9pm.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04 17 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to be cooking alot of food...especially if they are serving themselves.

If I was serving, I'd be selling (and cooking) 3oz of each per person. But since they are serving themselves you're gonna have to estimate at least 4oz of each protein.

Most people are going to get both on their plates. Those that don't will be piling on to the one they do want. Trust me...portioning in a kitchen or on a catering line takes a skilled individual. The general public will be taking more than 3oz of each.

You're numbers are WAY off. Remember...cooked butts & briskets will weigh about half what they did raw. So a 12# butt will yield you 6-7# of barbecue, and on a 15# brisket you'll be seeing around 8# of slices.

You would need at least three briskets & four 12# butts IF you figured on 2oz of each protein for each guest...and trust me...2oz won't do it. By your estimations, you will feed MAYBE half the group.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04 17 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long story short...I would want 6oz of protein per person...split that any way you wish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: