FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Much Charcoal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22 18 9:24 am    Post subject: How Much Charcoal? Reply with quote

How much charcoal should I be going through to smoke a rack of ribs for 6 hours (3-2-1 Method) at approximately 225 degrees?

I have a "barrel" style smoker/grill that has an off set smoke box.

Thanks!
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23 18 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others may differ but if I smoked ribs for six hours it would be shoe leather. I smoke mine 4 at most 4.5 hours at 225. And they turn out fantastic. I don't foil I just put them on and 15-20 mins before I pull'em I put the glaze on if I'm not doing dry ribs. I have a WSM so not sure how much charcoal you will need not familiar with your pit.
MountainMan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23 18 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Good answer........

KISS is always best.
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26 18 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRC,
Lots of variables, so it's hard to answer your question.

Offset fire box means that you will lose some heat as the box will radiate heat and some will be lost (not all will go into the cooking chamber). Also depends on how thick the metal is, how well things seal up, how thick the metal is on the cooking chamber as well...
AnhartGeorge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05 18 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Offset fire box means that you will lose some heat as the box will radiate heat and some will be lost (not all will go into the cooking chamber). Also depends on how thick the metal is, how well things seal up, how thick the metal is on the cooking chamber as well..."

Lots of factors to consider, overall. Thanks!
frayedend

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29 18 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.2.1 method works great for St. Louis ribs. I'm surprised by the post saying less time, unless they are talking baby backs.

One tip I'd give is to load up on charcoal. I have an Oklahoma Joe Highland and I initially thought that I'd use less charcoal to keep 225 and add as needed. What I found was that I could not maintain temps. I'd start high and quickly lose heat and have to add more. But now I load the crap out of the fire box. First with one full chimney started and put a big load on top of it. With the firebox open I wait a good while for the fire to clean up, close the firebox and wait for the smoke coming out of the stack to get clean (it tends to get dirty when first closing the firebox).

With a good full firebox it was much easier to keep 225 for a very long time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: