FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seasoning the underside of a Blackstone Griddle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Flat Top & Griddle Grilling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfellows5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22 19 11:21 am    Post subject: Seasoning the underside of a Blackstone Griddle Reply with quote

OK, just got 36" Blackstone for father's day. It will hopefully fit in well with my 3 different type smokers, and my Weber Kettle charcoal grill and Weber Genesis Gas Grill. Have seen and heard several ways of prepping the back side of the griddle. One camp says just season like the top side the other camp says spray several coats of high heat BBQ paint to protect it. Will probably get 50/50 suggestions but can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each. I live in south MS along the Gulf Coast (rust heaven) and it will be on my covered patio and will be getting a cover of some sort to help protect it. Have also seen bags you can store the grill part in which I would store in my utility room if this is possible with the 36" and if it would is easy to remove and install. (have not taken it out of box yet till I figure this part out. Any and all ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
KMM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23 19 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underside is exposed to open flame....anything short of ceramic coatings will burn off (ceramic coating would stop rust but negatively effect the plates performance). Seasoning the cooking surface well, combined with occasional use will keep the plate in good condition for a long time.
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24 19 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a blackstone griddle and I have only seasoned the top side. I wouldn't even consider any paint or seasoning the bottom side at all. I would recommend flax seed oil or peanut oil to season the cooking surface. Use several coats of oil and season it until turns dark and it will be good to go.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Flat Top & Griddle Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: