FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offset Vs. Vertical smoker
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21 07 6:17 am    Post subject: Offset Vs. Vertical smoker Reply with quote

Ok, let's break it down. What are the benefits, advantages of both the offset smoker and the vertical. What are the disadvantages of both. And of course, which would you rather have. I have an offset and I am buying a vertical. It makes sense to me that heat moves up not sideways. I think(not sure) that a vertical uses less fuel. I think( not sure ) that a vertical is easier to regulate tempatures. I am curious what other opinions are. Please respond with very detailed info. I appreciate it. Could be a classic.
WBOGGS
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 07 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat rises.

Enough said......
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 07 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a vertical you can get a lot more cooking area with a smaller footprint. On an offset you can cook much larger cuts of meat.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
Spice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 07 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only disadvantage of a vertical is it makes a poor grill. They are primarily smokers. Yes they are more efficient and can be insulated but you are talking Apples and oranges. Verticals are not " Stick Burners" especally the insulated types. There are many good manufacturers out there!! You just have to decied what you want your cooker to do. An insulated smoker will give you some much needed sleep at comps. no matter what the weather conditions,

Hope this helps a little.

Spice
Lewis & Herschel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 07 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owning both, the only real draw back to a Vertical is, it is harder to work on your meat.

Drawback to my offset it that it uses 3-4 times more fuel than my Stumps, to do the same thing.
WBOGGS
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 07 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can hang 12 racks of ribs in an offset.

Stump's Smokers makes a verticle stick burner.
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 07 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBOGGS wrote:

If you used racks you could get 2 to 3 times that many ribs in an offset of the same dimensions. But I figure in my Stumps clone that I am building I will be able to get 50+ slabs if I use rib racks.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 07 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBOGGS wrote:
Heat rises.

Enough said......

That's why most offsets have the firebox positioned lower than the cook chamber. Wink
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 07 8:02 pm    Post subject: Vertical Stick burner Reply with quote

Suposedly, the vertical I am getting can use real wood, I will have to make sure when I pick it up. It is a Quality Grill name brand. I use a weber for grilling and have no problems doing that. My neighbors and friends are giving me grief because I have:

2 Weber smokey Joes
1 Deluxe weber ( has the ashtray on the bottom)
1 Bandera
1 Broken gas grill
1 Vertical smoker
1 China box pig smoker

They say I have too much but they love eating it!!!
gpalasz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 07 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bouth the stumps vertical Sw223. It has an offset firebox...can burn logs. I will break it in this weekend. It has 5 shelves 20X20...you get alot more room in a vertical. I have an offset too, so now I get to compare the two.
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 07 9:19 pm    Post subject: Vertical size Reply with quote

My vertical will be 24 x 24 with 4 shelfs. I think that is 2304 cubic inches. It is also 3 feet tall so I am hoping I can do a small pig.
swinebuck
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 07 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a Stumps SW223 Offset. Vertical Smoker that burns sticks. It has some of the advantages of both and disadvantages of both. It still needs tending like any stick burner and burns more fuel than an insulated smoker. One other advantage of verticials is portability. Try getting a 6' long offset in the back of your pick-up truck. The first competition we atended we rented a U-haul trailer for $20 to carry two smokers and all equipment. We did not have to buy a $3000 trailer to transport. Another advantage was the price, 1/3 the price of an insulated vertical. There is good and bad in everything. You must figure out what your needs are then shop for the product that best meets them.
Thanks
Mike
Swinebucks
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Too-Sauced-To-Pork/337985995846?ref=mf#

Last edited by swinebuck on Sat Mar 24 07 1:17 am; edited 2 times in total
WBOGGS
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 07 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
WBOGGS wrote:
Heat rises.

Enough said......

That's why most offsets have the firebox positioned lower than the cook chamber. Wink

Right and the heat comes out of the fire box to the top of the cook chamber on one end and out the smoke stack at the other end; I had one, you cant fool me. The heat in my vertical comes out the fire box and can only go past the food and out the chimney. That's why a biscuit test in my smoker cooks all 20 biscuits to the same doneness in every corner and center of every shelf.

Put 20 raw biscuits all over every corner of the rack on your offset and let me see you eat them after them being in the same amount of time for all of them.
WBOGGS
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 07 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mds2 wrote:
WBOGGS wrote:

If you used racks you could get 2 to 3 times that many ribs in an offset of the same dimensions. But I figure in my Stumps clone that I am building I will be able to get 50+ slabs if I use rib racks.

So what you're saying is that if you have a substantially bigger smoker you can get more racks of ribs in it. Confused Confused Confused I doubt you're talking apples to oranges. 50 racks of full spares is 8,100 square inches of food alone. And mine will all be done at the same time; yours wont.

PS now I can get 48 racks of Lt Louis cut ribs in at one time all done at the same time. The key is "SAME TIME" there is no way an offset cooks the same end for end and the bigger it is the more difference there's going to be. It's physically impossible for heat to go to the left as evenly as it goes up.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 07 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBOGGS wrote:

I had one, you cant fool me. The heat in my vertical comes out the fire box and can only go past the food and out the chimney. That's why a biscuit test in my smoker cooks all 20 biscuits to the same doneness in every corner and center of every shelf.

Put 20 raw biscuits all over every corner of the rack on your offset and let me see you eat them after them being in the same amount of time for all of them.

No one's trying to fool ya' there chief. Laughing

I prefer having a hotter end next to the firebox, it helps when you're cooking several different meats at the same time, like chicken and ribs. I have a 25* difference from right to left and use it to my advantage.

You can do your biscuit test and I'll do mine. And while you're pullin' all 20 biscuits off at the same time and eating cold biscuits at the end, I'll pull mine off from right to left and that 20th biscuit will be just as hot and fresh as the first one. Yuummmmmmm! Razz
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 07 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBOGGS wrote:

So what you're saying is that if you have a substantially bigger smoker you can get more racks of ribs in it. Confused Confused Confused I doubt you're talking apples to oranges. 50 racks of full spares is 8,100 square inches of food alone. And mine will all be done at the same time; yours wont.

PS now I can get 48 racks of Lt Louis cut ribs in at one time all done at the same time. The key is "SAME TIME" there is no way an offset cooks the same end for end and the bigger it is the more difference there's going to be. It's physically impossible for heat to go to the left as evenly as it goes up.

No that isnt what I am saying. If you were to take that stumps and lay it on it's side you could get more than 12 slabs in it. Same exact size cooker, just different orientation will give you different capacities. And why are you getting defensive, everyone here is just discussing the pros and cons of both types of cookers. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I have both types and I use them both, so saying "mine wont" get something done is complete bull$hit.

This offset cooker heats the same from left to right also:

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
WBOGGS
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24 07 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
WBOGGS wrote:

I had one, you cant fool me. The heat in my vertical comes out the fire box and can only go past the food and out the chimney. That's why a biscuit test in my smoker cooks all 20 biscuits to the same doneness in every corner and center of every shelf.

No one's trying to fool ya' there chief. Laughing

I prefer having a hotter end next to the firebox, it helps when you're cooking several different meats at the same time, like chicken and ribs. I have a 25* difference from right to left and use it to my advantage.

You can do your biscuit test and I'll do mine. And while you're pullin' all 20 biscuits off at the same time and eating cold biscuits at the end, I'll pull mine off from right to left and that 20th biscuit will be just as hot and fresh as the first one. Yuummmmmmm! Razz

I'll answer 2 posts at once here because we're defending our smokers to the ridiculous and the more vulnerable people tend to attack the less vulnerable.

You can say all you want that it is an advantage to have one side 25 degrees hotter than another but unless you just fell off the turnip truck you understand that the entire industry purposes to achieve even heat across the entire cooking chamber. That's so if you buy a smoker big enough to feed 100 people ribs and need to do so you can feed all of those people at once because all the ribs get equal heat. Now if you think it's somehow a big advantage to feed 100 people 33 at a time, the you've got the perfect smoker for it.

It's such a ridiculous argument to say that you can eat all 20 biscuits as they are done on yours because they cant possible be done at the same time so none will be cold. What if 20 people are waiting for their 20 biscuits?

Essentially what you're saying is, for example, I buy cars with flat tires on the right side so when I drive half my car on a sidewalk the car rides level. Well that's one way to make flat tires on the right an advantageous situation.

When I personally buy a smoker with 2,000 square inches of cooking racks I like to be able to cook 2,000 square inches of food in it so I can serve 2,000 square inches of food. Not so only about 1/3 of it is done at one time. The other huge advantage is fuel consumption, as hard as it is to get heat to go to the right rather than go up as it only wants to naturally; you have to build much bigger fires to overcome the inefficiency inherent with trying to defy nature. They dont put heat registers in the ceiling of your house for a reason. Yet any time anyone mentions these backwards situations that exist in offsets; people defend them to the death.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24 07 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Rolling Eyes ....I think someone needs a hug!
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24 07 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone is arguing that verticals are more efficient. A Toyota Camry is more efficient than a Dodge Crew Cab, but both have room for four adults and both will get you to Kansas City.

I think it comes down to how much pyromaniac each person has in them. The recovering pyromaniacs tend like their offsets and others prefer the verticals. The pyrophobias buy pellet smokers... Laughing

Competitions are won with both verticals and offsets. I know guys that cater with offsets because of the reasons Mike mentioned when cooking different kinds of meat (chicken, beef, and pork).

Last edited by BoilermakerFan on Tue Apr 03 07 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24 07 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoilermakerFan wrote:
I don't think anyone is arguing that verticals are more efficient. A Toyota Camry is more efficient than a Dodge Crew Cab, but both have room for four adults and both will get you to Kansas City.

I think it comes down to how much pyromaniac each person has in them. The recovering pyromaniacs tend like their offsets and others prefer the verticals. The pyrophobias buy pellet smokers... Laughing

Competitions are won with both verticals and offsets. I know guys that cater with offsets because of the reasons Mike mentioned when cooking different kids of meat (chicken, beef, and pork).

Obviously Brian, you have no idea what you're talking about. Wink The only smoker one should consider is a vertical smoker......."enough said". Maybe you could just hop aboard the turnip truck w/ me....'course I gotta fix a couple flats on the right side first. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: