FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rib fest here next weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butch's bbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08 07 9:33 pm    Post subject: rib fest here next weekend Reply with quote

Just wanted to share...we are having a rib fest here in town next weekend and it's going to be just big names contending with one local guy included...pretty cool. Some of the names are ....PorkyNBeans, Carolina Rib King, CAMP31, Johnson's BBQ, Fat Fred's Famous BBQ. Only problem is my new Lang should be ready for pick up next weekend...I'm really torn should I get my new toy which I ordered a month ago or go and yack and eat with the big boys -LOL
Butch's bbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08 07 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot...Happy Easter Everyone!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08 07 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our's is held in November. Most of these guy's "compete" in a circuit that travels around the country. The "competition" is actually pretty much for fun and bragging rights- the real purpose is to sell BBQ and make a living! Very Happy

I applied years ago to participate at the Rib Fest. Got the run-around about is my cooker large enough, can I afford the fee ($2,500 for a two and a half day weekend), and the fact that this event is limited to a certain number of "teams". Of course I can appreciate the fact that they have limits, it allows the "teams" to make money.

Here's the kicker: I was told it was a 5-10 year wait to get a spot. Then, if someone drops out I might get a call with a few weeks notice to "fill in". Shocked

This event is during the start of my busy season after a slow summer. I figure I can have "Rib Fest" just about any weekend, and skip the expense of this "competition". Laughing

Enjoy the show! Wink
Butch's bbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08 07 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wantedto go to your rib fest. You guys have a great one....and some great bands usually.
I have my own rib fest every sunday...no competition and plenty of food!
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09 07 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch's bbq wrote:
I've always wantedto go to your rib fest. You guys have a great one....and some great bands usually.
I have my own rib fest every sunday...no competition and plenty of food!

I'm with ya on that one...........I do enough braggin' on myself... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Butch's bbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09 07 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinkn we should buy ourselves trophies every weekend...our is my ever increasing gut my trophy?
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09 07 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not do both? The rib fest is two days right? Go get the Lang one day and go talk (and eat) Q the next. Sounds like the perfect weekend to me.

Doc
Butch's bbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09 07 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could Doc...Almost one day up to the lang and one day back...besides once I get my new toy home I'll want to play with it and I wont care if there's a hurricane...LOL Boys and their toys! Maybe the smoker wont be ready and I'll have to go up the next week..he is doing some extra stuff like a tin roof....I'm like a kid on Christmas eve right now though....can't wait. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. Either way next weekend should be good right? It's a no lose situation. and tickets are only $7. at the door for the fest!
Three Wise Guys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 07 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch's bbq wrote:
Wish I could Doc...Almost one day up to the lang and one day back...besides once I get my new toy home I'll want to play with it and I wont care if there's a hurricane...LOL Boys and their toys! Maybe the smoker wont be ready and I'll have to go up the next week..he is doing some extra stuff like a tin roof....I'm like a kid on Christmas eve right now though....can't wait. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. Either way next weekend should be good right? It's a no lose situation. and tickets are only $7. at the door for the fest!

funny thing is last year when i drove down to GA to get my new Lang from northern VA...Hurricane Ernesto was coming on shore...I drove it back through the entire hurricane through S CAR and N CAR and VA and then set up a big tent and tied it down tight and seasoned that smoker in the rain with a smile that no one was going to wipe off of my face...now we just call the smoker Ernesto from all the good memories of the trip Very Happy
sseige
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch are you from Florida? and if not I would like the name of the event and town if you don't mind. That one doesn't show up on my event listings. Sad

Gasser!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvsbbq wrote:

I'm with ya on that one...........I do enough braggin' on myself... Laughing Laughing Laughing

You do?

Well I don't think anyone will notice! Laughing

I still work here!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sseige wrote:
Butch are you from Florida? and if not I would like the name of the event and town if you don't mind. That one doesn't show up on my event listings. Sad

Ribfest is held every November in beautiful downtown St.Petersburg at Vinoy Basin Park and is put on by the North East Exchange Club. Ill try to get the schedule and post it. And yes, the bands are usually good! Very Happy

Here is the link: http://www.ribfest.org/
sseige
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQ Man I know about St Petersburg but butch said next weekend and St Augustine just finished. Back in the early 90's I use to have 3 Florida shows from end of march till early April Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, and Melbourne that I loved to do. If I could find another 3 in a row like that it would be great. I have a inside track to doing St. Pete this year because of the team I tour for was a show favorite in the past but its still up in the air (crossing fingers) LOVE THE SUNSHINE STATE Cool

Gasser!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that you have an "inside track" to this event- it is a good one. Also expensive, and the folks that put it on are not the easiest to work with.

I trust that you are part of an established team. Taking that into account, any idea on the type of figures you can expect to make? I know they limit the teams, and the lines for food are long. But, after running the figures, you have to sell a whole shizzle load of food to make ant money. I also know that the prices for food are high as well.

My wife and I attend as spectators when our catering allows some time off. A close personal friend is the head of security, so we get in backstage to hang out. Always a good time, just not sure I want to actually participate.............................
Butch's bbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sseige wrote:

Yes I live in Bradenton, Fl...the event is in Palmetto across the bridge from us. Here's a link to their website. www.gulfcoastribfest.com
Geat news sort of...Ben said the cooker wont be ready till mon or tues...gonna have it delivered too
sseige
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Butch look for me next year Cool

Gasser!
barnburner180
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13 07 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribfest=ripoff. I went to one ribfest and spent all my money Sad on just the first try of ribs. The worst part is wifey and I didn't even get filled up. They were charging $3 A BONE!! For that price I tried to gnaw at the bone and eat that too. Didn't want to leave anything to waste.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: