FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with weekend cook...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Should I Cook In Advance?
Butts
86%
 86%  [ 19 ]
Briskets
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 22

rprata
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 8:28 am    Post subject: Help with weekend cook... Reply with quote

I have ~25 people coming over on Sunday to sample some 'Q. The plan right now is butts and briskets. Probably 2 butts, a brisket or two and a pork loin which I will marinate and then cook on the kettle.

I am running a WSM. Problem is, I can't fit 2 butts AND 2 briskets (might even do 4 butts, not sure yet) at the same time. Am I better off doing the butts ahead of time, pulling and re-heating, and doing the briskets Saturday night, or should I do the briskets ahead of time (Friday night) and do the butts fresh for Sunday? Which will hold / re-heat best? I was planning a Friday Night cook and a Saturday Night cook, but I'm torn on which meat to cook a day in advance, and which to cook "fresh".

Thoughts? Thanks for your input!

Maybe I'll just hijack MrCustomSteel's rig Laughing
Pre-ordered 22" WSM
ProQ Frontier w/ extra Stacker
Genesis Silver "B"
Bar-B-Chef Offset, Modded to Hell! (Thanks Skidder!)
skybob
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butts normally take longer than brisket, I'd do them first, pull'em and bag them. They reheat easy.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents...

The butts will reheat way better than the brisket. Cook 'em ahead of time and pull 'em. Put it in 1 gallon zip bags and into an ice chest full of ice and a little water(want it kinda slushy) to cool. To reheat, put the meat in foil pans w/ a little apple juice and/or any leftover butt juices from the night before(I know....giggle) and/or your favorite sauce. Cover the pans tightly w/ foil and reheat in a 300* oven. The brisket will be much better sliced and served day of than preccoked/sliced/reheated.

Do I get any change back?
rprata
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
My 2 cents...

The butts will reheat way better than the brisket. Cook 'em ahead of time and pull 'em. Put it in 1 gallon zip bags and into an ice chest full of ice and a little water(want it kinda slushy) to cool. To reheat, put the meat in foil pans w/ a little apple juice and/or any leftover butt juices from the night before(I know....giggle) and/or your favorite sauce. Cover the pans tightly w/ foil and reheat in a 300* oven. The brisket will be much better sliced and served day of than preccoked/sliced/reheated.

That was exactly what I was thinking I should do. I had a gut feeling. Thanks for reinforcing my thought. That's what I shall do. Look for a post w/ lots of pics of lots o' meat.
Pre-ordered 22" WSM
Genesis Silver "B"
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allsmoke is on target......The big point here is.... don't sauce your butt before you are ready to heat and serve. it if do it when you bag it, it can come out mushy.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butt heats back up real good and brisket is its best while its still hot after a nice rest in some foil for a few hours.

Good luck and let us know how your get together goes.

Dont forget the food p*rn.!!
LIAR #100
soonerjimmie
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
My 2 cents...

I agree might let cool a little before putting in ziploc or sit in ice chest unzipped to let the steam excape

Jimmie
JJ's (almost famous) BBQ

www.jjskitchen.com
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like everyone is agreeing in here, so I think I should be the dissenting voice…

I really think you should cook the brisket 3 days in advance, and leave it out at room temperature while waiting for the butts to cook, I think you should cook 3 butts 2 days in advance then leave them next to the briskets at room temperature, while undercooking the last butt on the day of the event and serving that one first…

NOT! Duh! Rolling Eyes

OK I surrender, I agree with everyone else about cooking the butts first as they hold better and the brisket is better straight out of its rest period.

I still work here!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13 07 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is what I would do.

I would use this very incident as a reason to get another WSM or another favorite brand of smoker, so you can fit everything on it and add a stoker unit to control both of them (Boy toys) so everything is cooked to perfection when the guests arrive.

This way it makes it logical and necessary to add to your BBQ arsenal, right?

If that is not an option, I agree with everyone else too.
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13 07 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could just bring a bottle of good whiskey over here Saturday and do it all at once. Plan on 14 hrs for the butts or 16hrs from the time I light the fire. Let me know so I can round up some wood. Are old railraod ties OK? Shocked
rprata
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13 07 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Railroad ties, eh?

I actually got the gazebo up, so I'll be smoking under it. Hopefully the rain holds off until Sunday, the later the better.

D.T. Thanks for the offer. Next time you're firing that beast up, I'll bring some meat and some beer. And some more beer. And maybe some whiskey. Very Happy
Pre-ordered 22" WSM
Genesis Silver "B"
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13 07 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you live...certain parts of the country like certain meats better than the other. SOOO I would cook MORE of what your area of the country likes best and LESS of the other...2/1
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14 07 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Rhode Island, so they would rather have lobsters, clam cakes, stuffed quahogs and doughboys, but they can put the hurt on some good Q. Like most places, if someone else is nice enough to cook it, they will eat it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: