FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gas smokers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14 05 10:59 am    Post subject: Gas smokers? Reply with quote

I have an electric. I like the simplicity of it. My neighbor made a gas smoker. wondering if any vendors made a gas smoker.???
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14 05 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father in law had an older gas turkey fryer. He took a new brinkman upright water smoker and placed it on top. It fit without any modifications. Seems to work fairly well. The brinkman’s are on sale at Wally world for half price ($23). You be da-judge.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16 05 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, there are plenty of manufacturers that make gas fired smokers. Surf around the web till you find what you want. I use a propane log lighter to get the fire started. Really helps out on cold rainy days! Then, its all wood for me! Very Happy
luvmyc50

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18 05 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey alien, how did the guy produce the smoke when he put the water smoker on top of the gas fryer?
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 05 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small metal box with wood chips in it next to the flame. Didn’t seem right to me, but it’s my father- in- law, and “I ain’t say’n nuth’n”.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 05 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like ya "took the high road' on that one Alien! Smart! Very Happy
BBQ Billy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06 05 11:51 am    Post subject: Great Outdoors Smokey Mountian Smoker Reply with quote

Hello Steve-O,

I have used a Great Outdoors Smokey Mountian Smoker for several years and I've enjoyed the ease of use and the capacity of this unit. Any smoker will have it's good/bad points but this unit has been consistent and is holding up well after the fourth year. I believe I paid about $125 for the smoker which does not include a propane tank.
I've purchased four Weber Smokey Mountian charcoal Smokers which I've been using this year and I really like the results of both charcoal and gas. The Webers are poratble enough I can load into my car and have one for each cooking category at BBQ competitions.

BBQ Man...

I'm looking for a hand-held propane lighter for my charcoal... can I ask what model of lighter you're using?

Thank you!

BBQ Bill
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to share the info BBQ Bill. I use a threaded piece of 1/2" schedule 40 Copper pipe that you can find at home depot. I drill the flame holes in two rows with a dia. of 1/8 inch. I cap off the one end with a threaded cap, and use a brass 5/8" compression fitting to secure the venturi tube made from 5/8" copper tubing (not pipe) of the needed length. A standard regulator and gas valve off a regular gas grill feeds the burner nicely. The heavy copper pipe holds up well to the heat, and most of the maintenance involves occasionaly cleaning out the gas holes with a spare drill bit, and cleaning the ash deposits out of the burner and venturi tubes. As with all gas appliances, safety first. If you need any more help, leave me with a phone number and I can give you a call.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18 05 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-O

Heres a gas unit I have used when I worked at a BBQ pit, you got to have the big money for this one. It does a nice consistant job. Load it up, set the computer and walk away.
I found the meat didnt have much smokey flavour, that might have been cured by adding more wood to the firebox... dont know as I didnt get to experiment, just did what I was told to do.

http://www.southern-pride.com/pages/pits_bbr-79-1-fl.php
LIAR #100
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 05 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m thinking hard about one of these afterburners.

http://www.gassmoker.com/Afterburner_V.htm

Anyone have any experience with these?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: