FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I think we have lost sight of what the "Competition
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lewis & Herschel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 3:29 am    Post subject: I think we have lost sight of what the "Competition Reply with quote

Forum" is for.

It is for Competitors and would be competitors to share what works and what doesn't. If you don't compete or don't want to, you have staggered into the wrong room.

If you get upset at discussing things that are perfectly legal on tour, you are in the wrong forum. We are here to discuss them.

If you feel like you know more about Competitions than us though don't compete, you are in the wrong forum.

Catering is great, I am sure that many of you are very good at it. Competition BBQ is a totally different animal. Most of us will spend what it takes to win on one piece of meat because we are not cost accounting a job. We are after 6 perfect servings not 60 or 600. That fact left the Caterers behind me over the weekend with a look of bewilderment when they found out where they placed. Though I know many that are very good at both.

Catering=Macro BBQ
Competition= Micro BBQ

If you don't like what we do in Competitions, don't post here. There is a several other forums on this site that will fit your needs.

I will step off my soap box now. Just hate to see perfectly normal post turned into the "Bates Smokers" thread because of people that argue everything when it doesn't even pertain to them.
rawtalent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: I think we have lost sight of what the "Competition Reply with quote

Lewis & Herschel wrote:
Forum" is for.

It is for Competitors and would be competitors to share what works and what doesn't. If you don't compete or don't want to, you have staggered into the wrong room.

If you get upset at discussing things that are perfectly legal on tour, you are in the wrong forum. We are here to discuss them.

If you feel like you know more about Competitions than us though don't compete, you are in the wrong forum.

Catering is great, I am sure that many of you are very good at it. Competition BBQ is a totally different animal. Most of us will spend what it takes to win on one piece of meat because we are not cost accounting a job. We are after 6 perfect servings not 60 or 600. That fact left the Caterers behind me over the weekend with a look of bewilderment when they found out where they placed. Though I know many that are very good at both.

Catering=Macro BBQ
Competition= Micro BBQ

If you don't like what we do in Competitions, don't post here. There is a several other forums on this site that will fit your needs.

I will step off my soap box now. Just hate to see perfectly normal post turned into the "Bates Smokers" thread because of people that argue everything when it doesn't even pertain to them.

What he said.
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I borrow that box?

Well put.

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you, and thanks for the soapbox message L&H. By the way, the Bates thread got started because members here had been taken to the cleaners on their deposits. If I had been one of them, you would have seen the biggest soapbox ever! Laughing

Here's mine, and I'll keep it short: If you post here, don't expect there to be no difference in view points. If you post here, don't expect us to all kow-tow your line of thought. It's an open forum, not an "It's all about competition" forum.

There are certainly a lot of good ideas here across the board, even in the competition section. The fact that we don't all agree with you shouldn't be all that surprising! Wink Very Happy

Last edited by BBQMAN on Wed Apr 25 07 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lewis & Herschel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Good for you, and thanks for the soapbox message L&H. By the way, the Bates thread got started because members here had been taken to the cleaners on their deposits. If I had been one of them, you would havve seen the biggest soapbox ever! Laughing

Here's mine, and I'll keep it short: If you post here, don't expect there to be no difference in view points. If you post here, don't expect us to all kow-tow your line of thought. It's an open forum, not an "It's all about competition" forum.

There are certainly a lot of good ideas here acrooss the board, even in the competition section. The fact that we don't all agree with you shouldn't be all that surprising! Wink Very Happy

The one thing that it has in common is that a Dead Horse was beaten beyond recognition. Did not change anything, just like this will not.

If you do not compete, then post your opinions on it on the General BBQ thread.

Non Competitors should not be polluting our thread about Competition BBQ just cause you disagree about something that makes you fell insecure in your BBQ Manhood.

And it is most certainly a "Competition Forum". Get over it.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis & Herschel wrote:
BBQMAN wrote:
Good for you, and thanks for the soapbox message L&H. By the way, the Bates thread got started because members here had been taken to the cleaners on their deposits. If I had been one of them, you would havve seen the biggest soapbox ever! Laughing

There are certainly a lot of good ideas here acrooss the board, even in the competition section. The fact that we don't all agree with you shouldn't be all that surprising! Wink Very Happy

The one thing that it has in common is that a Dead Horse was beaten beyond recognition. Did not change anything, just like this will not.

Non Competitors should not be polluting our thread about Competition BBQ just cause you disagree about something that makes you fell insecure in your BBQ Manhood.

Good thing I don't treat people like this over in the catering section!

Thanks for showing us what an A$$ you are! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I am over it, how about you? Wink
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Lewis & Herschel wrote:
BBQMAN wrote:

I dont remember the last time anyone came over to the cartering section and called you guys a bunch of drug dealing cheaters....
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgPhan wrote:
BBQMAN wrote:
Lewis & Herschel wrote:
BBQMAN wrote:

I dont remember the last time anyone came over to the cartering section and called you guys a bunch of drug dealing cheaters....

First off, we don't have a "cartering" section! And to answer your question, there hasn't been the need! Wink Laughing
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 5:53 am    Post subject: Off Topic post in the Competition Forum. Reply with quote

Lewis & Herschel wrote:
... Did not change anything, just like this will not.

Yet that thread did change things... Without that thread and the very vocal response to it, I doubt if CamdenTom would have taken the steps he did, to help out Bates Pitts, and all those folks who were hurting about that situation.

There is now light at the end of the tunnel for those folks, it may be farther along in time than anyone would have wanted, and it may have nothing to do with the thread, but I for one think the thread affected it!

Just my 2.

Funnily enough this is one of the forums I read but tend not to comment on, (this will be my 18th post in this forum out of 894 posts, about 2% of my posts), as I don't compete yet, but I am interested in competing at some point in time, this year, next year, sometime, never!

These are just a few observations.

Let's agree to disagree, or disagree to agree, and step back from the name calling from any side!

On second thoughts although I can see where everyone is coming from, as to what is this post or thread going to accomplish, it's probably nothing; and in that I think you may be right L&H.

I still work here!
habenero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 6:17 am    Post subject: You mean we don't have a Ray Basso to delete non-topic threa Reply with quote

I agree with the leader of this thread. There are other topics that cookers belongs in. I like the feeling of competition only threads such as this one. I learn from these as I have on other forums. Keep up the posting so we all can gather timely information.
later:
habenero
Lewis & Herschel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Off Topic post in the Competition Forum. Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Lewis & Herschel wrote:
... Did not change anything, just like this will not.

Yet that thread did change things... Without that thread and the very vocal response to it, I doubt if CamdenTom would have taken the steps he did, to help out Bates Pitts, and all those folks who were hurting about that situation.

There is now light at the end of the tunnel for those folks, it may be farther along in time than anyone would have wanted, and it may have nothing to do with the thread, but I for one think the thread affected it!

Just my 2.

Funnily enough this is one of the forums I read but tend not to comment on, (this will be my 18th post in this forum out of 894 posts, about 2% of my posts), as I don't compete yet, but I am interested in competing at some point in time, this year, next year, sometime, never!

These are just a few observations.

Let's agree to disagree, or disagree to agree, and step back from the name calling from any side!

On second thoughts although I can see where everyone is coming from, as to what is this post or thread going to accomplish, it's probably nothing; and in that I think you may be right L&H.

Thank you. I was not trying to be a jerk. I was just pointing out that if you do not compete, don't throw stones at commonly excepted practices at competitions.

It accomplishes nothing. There is no end to what we could debate about, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, Salt Peter, Grease, cancer causing agents, the list goes on but I still love BBQ.

Though I have had to sit through countless poorly catered BBQ events, I don't go over to the catering thread and generalize all of you into a group because of what some caterers do.
sseige
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I think we have lost sight of what the "Competition Reply with quote

Lewis & Herschel wrote:
Forum" is for.

Catering=Macro BBQ
Competition= Micro BBQ

I'm sorry can you give me the exact qualifications in order to post here, is it judged by how many competitions you have participated in or if thats all you do or do you have to be a carded member of KCBS or FBA? I'm just a little confused, maybe if you defined "competition" for us we would understand better..................... I remember a post here, some poor guy asked if he could come by a new event (not sure I can call it a competition) the L-P-Que and Quote "Since I have never even been close to one of these contests, I am looking forward to attending. Maybe if some of you are entering, I can come byand learn something".
And some of the replies.............I guess I do not understand why it would be gas only. At that point it seems like it would be come one and all and cook, gas, electric, charcoal, and wood. Let the best team win.

Heck, all the teams can just go spend the night in a hotel room once they get everything loaded in the gas smokers. ...................L & H... They will be using gas smokers .... not GF223's. They'll have to stick around in case they blow......................I guess the gassers are just waving the white flag about competing against us wood and coal burners.

That is my point. If you are searching for equal treatment, lets see if they are.

I guess the real issue is, they don't want a bunch of the seasoned Competition cooks to roll in and rain on their parade. For the record, I am not talking about my self, but the teams in the KCBS Top 50. ............................"Competitor Series"???...give me a break. They really mean vendor series! No "normal" competitor is allowed to use LP,only vendors...sigh. Using LP gas cuts out the majoritiy of competition teams, which leaves the vendors who either don't normally compete or those teams who have dual setups - competition and vending.

Sound like &#$^$ to me.............................

So are you saying competition as in your "type" of competition or just competitions in general? Confused

Gasser!
G's BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I think we have lost sight of what the "Competition Reply with quote

Lewis & Herschel wrote:
Forum" is for.

Catering=Macro BBQ
Competition= Micro BBQ

This isnt a "soap box" post, this is a shiit stiring post. And thats all I got to say about that .

And sseige, well said!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So people that are interested in how competitions work and what actually goes on are not allowed to view or comment on practices in this public forum now??

Maybe start the lewis & herschel private competition forum then?
and you must have receipts ready to prove you treat your meat with questionable chemicals as a prerequisite to be allowed in the special competitors forum.

Maybe you could even develop a special little secret handshake too!!

WTF!!

Until this little education of the questionable additives used for comps' I had always held competitions in high regard because i thought it was a bunch of teams showcasing their unique natural product.
it is just sad, thats all.

Yes I will be entering a competition or two when the time is right, and maybe by that time the sanctioning bodies will ban this crap you people choose to use to adulterate the meat to get your special edge.
gordo
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I love to cook competition bbq cookoffs, have cooked the last two weekends, but it doesn't bother me if someone post something in a little different light...
I'm always looking for ways to improve, and have picked up many tips from what others are doing, be it competition or not...

I'm just not that closed minded, and take good ideas from anywhere,
be they are posted... under the wrong topic or not, but have never had the feeling that somebody is trying to tell how to cook a cookoff..and I don't offer advise on how to serve 100 paying customers, cause I don't have any idea... Very Happy
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, I think you miss the point totally.

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
Lewis & Herschel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
So people that are interested in how competitions work and what actually goes on are not allowed to view or comment on practices in this public forum now??

Maybe start the lewis & herschel private competition forum then?
and you must have receipts ready to prove you treat your meat with questionable chemicals as a prerequisite to be allowed in the special competitors forum.

Maybe you could even develop a special little secret handshake too!!

WTF!!

Until this little education of the questionable additives used for comps' I had always held competitions in high regard because i thought it was a bunch of teams showcasing their unique natural product.
it is just sad, thats all.

Yes I will be entering a competition or two when the time is right, and maybe by that time the sanctioning bodies will ban this crap you people choose to use to adulterate the meat to get your special edge.

If you read my post, I said competition cooks and would be competition cooks. I just don't see the point in people coming over here to argue Competitive cooking or its methods, when they say they have little time or interest in doing cook offs.

The point of this forum is exactly what you said, to help those with questions. Not get in a slinging match over Fab B. I will answer anyones question, and have.

My only point about the LP is why not just allow everyone. Gas and all. If a gasser wins, it will be a huge boost to the perception of Gas cookers and very good for that business.
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I think Garry should be the one to decide what can be posted in which forum.

And the whole point of splitting the forums into different topics is for conveinience not for segregation.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mds2 wrote:
And the whole point of splitting the forums into different topics is for conveinience not for segregation.

Wink
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...some of you guys really like to play the pity card...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: