FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I think we have lost sight of what the "Competition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranucci's Big Butt wrote:
And thanks for saying all competitions teams use this. Shall we start making general statements on the caterers? I'm sure I could point out alot of stuff I don't agree with on that matter.

Jeez Alex, I thought you were a caterer! Wink Laughing If you don't agree with what we have to say over there, please feel free to speak up my man! We don't tell people not to, don't cha' know! Just straight advice over there from straight shooters. No filler, less B.S.! Wink

Hey, all kidding aside, you guys just go ahead and as Hans and Franz used to say "We ahhh heeere to puuuump youuuu upppppp"! Mr. Green
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh I know. It's just funny how someone who doesn't compete, never tasted they stuff, never used it have such a stong opinion on it and keep putting his foot in his mouth like Mr. Harry does is getting old, and to lump all competitors into one group is ignorant. I'm sure if he actually told us a little about his business I could pick it apart and call him a cheater if he actually does cater.

What's nice is I have seen both sides the past 3 years and can see both sides of the argument. To straigh bash one side without knowing the other amazes me.

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True! You know me, just funnin' around as usual! Very Happy
Lewis & Herschel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranucci's Big Butt wrote:
Ohhh I know. It's just funny how someone who doesn't compete, never tasted they stuff, never used it have such a stong opinion on it and keep putting his foot in his mouth like Mr. Harry does is getting old, and to lump all competitors into one group is ignorant. I'm sure if he actually told us a little about his business I could pick it apart and call him a cheater if he actually does cater.

What's nice is I have seen both sides the past 3 years and can see both sides of the argument. To straigh bash one side without knowing the other amazes me.

That is how I feel. Do not want to exclude anyone that may have an interest in competing or judging(nor did I). It seems that some of the people posting have no interest in competing only bashing those who compete. I was pointing out that this is probably not the right forum for that, given all the competitors that lurk here and the time and money we spend doing it.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now we go to name calling, geez, you name calling guys are really a bunch of whiny babies. Maybe it's the chemical laden food you eat that did it to you?

I really hope to meet you face to face at a competition soon for several reasons.

But mostly to see you crying in your beer when my name is called at a comp for doing a naturally prepared product ( the true nature of BBQ) and you fail miserably for entering a POS chunk of meat injected with chemicals that are bordering on poisonous to half of the general population that you depend on to try and get a winning product.

Good luck boys & girls, Cuz your gonna need it!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common Harry, it's time to give this one a rest my man! Very Happy
adolpho
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest guys, I'm thinking about ending my participation in the smokering forum. For some reason, the last few months have turned into bashing each other on this forum and it eventually turns into name calling. I know some have a dry sense of humor and they don't mean to offend, but there are others (and it only takes a few) who are just dead set on arguing on this forum and not caring who they offend. If I've been guilty of any name calling, I'd like to apologize. But I don't think I've done that without being humorous.

I'll be going to MIM to be with Swinebucks, BBQMAN, Chef Hog and hopefully get in a visit with Big Tom. I think we'll be out there to enjoy ourselves, drink beer and talk cue. Until then, I'll chime in once in a while, but after that event I'll be leaving the smokering if things don't change.

PAZ!
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fight to the death over BBQ.

I love how food can bring people together.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
So now we go to name calling, geez, you name calling guys are really a bunch of whiny babies. Maybe it's the chemical laden food you eat that did it to you?

I really hope to meet you face to face at a competition soon for several reasons.

But mostly to see you crying in your beer when my name is called at a comp for doing a naturally prepared product ( the true nature of BBQ) and you fail miserably for entering a POS chunk of meat injected with chemicals that are bordering on poisonous to half of the general population that you depend on to try and get a winning product.

Good luck boys & girls, Cuz your gonna need it!

Now that's just plain funny right there. That's a mighty high horse you ridin boy!

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez Harry, that's quite a throwdown. Head out this direction for a comp and join me in the non-juicing, bragging rights, side-action pool. I'll take your money! Shocked

Come on Adolpho, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I don't type anything I would not say across a campfire holding a glass of whiskey. You just have to take all this as good natured banter.

Last year they did Iron Chef at the Jack. I hear this year they are doing a cage match, Ultimate Fighting Championship rules. If they draw your name, you have to fight!!! Very Happy Shocked Very Happy

zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the forum members would follow forum etiquette there would be no problem.

1 - If a thread has been started to inquire why Fab - B is hard to get right now that thread should not be hijacked by another member for any reason. Weather to inquire how it works, who uses it, or if it's ethical to use it. The thread has been hijacked and that is wrong. That member has pulled the discussion off topic.

2 - If a member wants to discuss the ethical questions about comp BBQ then that member should start there own thread about that topic. That is how we are expected to conduct ourselves on all forums including this one.

3 - If a member is reading a thread about a particular topic that they disagree with they should not jump in and cause a disruption. The point is for all forum members to STAY ON TOPIC!

I'm getting tired of the "free for all" mentality that has draged so many good forums down. This type of incident leaves me feeling that there is something to be said for how a forum like the VWB is run.

GIANT BBQ
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zilla, i agree with most of what you said except for number 3. The whole point of a forum is to discuss ideas, not just to have a circle jerk of people that agree with you. Sometimes the best conversations come out of disagreements.

You really cant have a forum where every topic is "agree with everything I say 100% or dont post".

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say we should agree with everyone did I? I said that each thread should stay on topic. If I start a topic about how to start a competition team and some other member drags the the conversation off into the bushes because he thinks BBQ Competition is stupid then that member needs to be educated on how to be a good citizen in a discussion group. Also there is no better example of a circle jerk then a thread like this one.

Edited to remove hostel attitude on my part. My apologies. Wink

GIANT BBQ
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zilla wrote:
I didn't say we should agree with everyone did I? I said that each thread should stay on topic. If I start a topic about how to start a competition team and some other member drags the the conversation off into the bushes because he thinks BBQ Competition is stupid then that member needs to be educated on how to be a good citizen in a discussion group. Also there is no better example of a circle jerk then a thread like this one.

Edited to remove hostel attitude on my part. My apologies. Wink

LOL. Well I guess I know what irony means now.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
sseige
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Gasser!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, disagree, win, lose, or draw- this sure has been educational! Very Happy

Looks like Zilla's looking for a pivot man (and no, I'm not volunteering! Wink )?! Laughing

Sorry man, didn't mean to go off topic again! Hey all, this has gotten way to serial. Let's just all agree to disagree. Go on and do what you need to do. If you choose to tell us about what you are doing, it only seems fair that you should expect a response. If that response isn't to your liking that's what debates are all about. Now we don't have to debate everything down to the last nut and bolt, but debate is good, and as i mentioned above, educational! Very Happy

Last edited by BBQMAN on Thu Apr 26 07 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Aldopho (sorry if i misspelled it).

Time was I hurried to get home and hit the read replys since my last visit button. Last couple of months have been quite uplifting...NOT.

I agree with the different opinions being exchanged. The bashing is getting old.

Harry...I want to be like you, chef, judge, hunter, chemist, caterer, comp guy, Iron chef, dietician, NASCAR expert, smoker engineer(have you built a smoker? I have and I'm quite impressed with your extensive knowlege of every type of cooker), working at the resort/golf course (where ever it was) and unemployed. You are truly an inspiration for me. Nothing like a guy who is better than and smarter than the entire forum. MY HERO Wink

Maybe the forum police here could get on me for having our logo on here without paying Gary too. That would be really nice.

Another ruined forum Crying or Very sad

I'll check back in a couple of months and see. Why waste my time to read posts that remind me of being in High School? Rolling Eyes

I will miss many of you

Just my .02

Tony
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well TonyQ, it is unfortunate that you feel that way!

There is a wealth of great information here for just about any level of BBQ enthusiast. Want to learn about catering? It's here! Want to learn about cookers or comps, it's here too! Very Happy Like it or not, I have found this thread to be informative, and will definetly keep it in mind if I decide to compete more in the future.

Most of the folks here are pretty good people. With a group this size, there is bound to be some dissention, just like any large group anywhere. Do you get along with all your co-workers for instance?

You don't post here very much, but thats OK. Hope you stick around and enjoy what we all have to offer, both good and bad! Very Happy

One comment about the forum police bit you added in. Nobody here has been given the hooseberries for posting their personal logo. If you "splash" your products all over an open forum like this one, you should (but are not forced to) buy an ad here. Jeez, talk about off topic- sorry guys! Very Happy
eskoenig

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrcustomsteel wrote:
Geez Harry, that's quite a throwdown. Head out this direction for a comp and join me in the non-juicing, bragging rights, side-action pool. I'll take your money! Shocked

Come on Adolpho, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I don't type anything I would not say across a campfire holding a glass of whiskey. You just have to take all this as good natured banter.

Last year they did Iron Chef at the Jack. I hear this year they are doing a cage match, Ultimate Fighting Championship rules. If they draw your name, you have to fight!!! Very Happy Shocked Very Happy

I'm with him. BBQ Thunderdome!!!

Eric
Lewis & Herschel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point in even starting this thread was to let people know that debating is ok, just dumping on competitions and the people who participate in them is not. If you do not agree with competitions, that is ok, just see no point in bashing us in our own forum.

Every argument brought up in this has been heard before and serves as a distraction for those of us that have made the decision to compete regardless of what others think.

We want a constuctive forum. Arguing whether or not something legal is ethical, is a slippery slope as everything we consume has chemicals in it or on it. As does the air we breath. Unless you grow your own pigs, cows, chickens, vegetables, and spices, pesticides, fertilizers, hormones, perservatives, and worse are in it. You just pray it is not a natural susbstance like E Coli.

Look on the back of your favorite rub or BBQ sauce, unless you make it from scratch with only fresh ingredients you grew yourself, you will see all types of scary looking chemical compounds.

And for the record, you can also clean toilets with Coca Cola. Now that is scary as I see people that use it to marinade their meat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: