FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoked sausage in cloth bags

View previous topic :: View next topic  
napper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14 06 5:19 am    Post subject: Smoked sausage in cloth bags Reply with quote

Some of the best sausage I have ever eaten is served at the Cracker Barrel. I purchased a pound of it so I could take a look.

It is a pattie style sausage stuffed in cloth bags and then smoked.
This stuff was great!

Has anyone done this before? How do you keep it from sticking to the inside of the bag? Can you purchase the bags or do you have to make them yourself?

Thanks,
Bill
Cheech
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31 06 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never smoked sausage that way before but I would think that the fat would prevent the meat from sticking to the bag.

The bags you can pick up from some of the places that sell supplies on line like Allied Kenco, Sasague Maker etc
Al Jensen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01 07 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Smoked sausage in cloth bags Reply with quote

napper wrote:
Some of the best sausage I have ever eaten is served at the Cracker Barrel. I purchased a pound of it so I could take a look.

It is a pattie style sausage stuffed in cloth bags and then smoked.
This stuff was great!

Has anyone done this before? How do you keep it from sticking to the inside of the bag? Can you purchase the bags or do you have to make them yourself?

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Don't forget that smoked sausage requires use of cure #1 for cold smoking.

On a cold smoke, you shouldn't have any trouble with sticking, if you do the temp is too high.

I'm still trying to get a good consistent smoke flavor. I would suggest making a sausage recipe that you like first then experiment with smoke time/intensity. Smoking done right is great, screw it up and only the dogs will eat it.

Butcher-Packer (http://www.butcher-packer.com) is a good place for supplies. They had crazy low prices on spices and natural casings. I had my order in three days by UPS ground.

Good Luck! Post back with your progress.

Al
wittdog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04 07 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To prevent the sauasge from sticking to the bag you can dust it with some soy protien or powdered milk..
Rubit
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05 07 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you younger guys, when I was a boy, I would be sent down to the basement to get a bag of sausage hanging with the tie string from nails tacked into the flour joist. The bag would be pulled off the sausage and the green scraped off befor pan frying. And no, that is not one of those things that was better back then. Give a good old cold roll of Jimmy Dean hot.
Tank smoker wood burner
Tank Charcoal grill
Cactus1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19 07 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy both cheesecloth and nylon netting by the yard at any local fabric store or craft shop. I soak the cheese cloth before using to get rid of the starch in it.
shantyboat mike

PostPosted: Fri May 04 07 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dip the cloth bags in vinegar before you use them. If you don't the meat will stick to the inside. Been there done that.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: