FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBQ Galore Smoker?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 05 1:58 am    Post subject: BBQ Galore Smoker? Reply with quote

I am looking to purchase my first non-water smoker and am considering the Bar-b-Chef from bbq galore as it fits well into my price range. Any thoughts on this smoker?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23 05 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, go with a offset fire box. You will be a lot happier in the long run. If you can afford it, I would go with an offset firebox, 36in grill section and 40-inch smoker tower. You get the best of all BBQ worlds and it can cook enough meat for an army. However, check the quality of the metal fabrication, locks and hinges. This is where many companies cut corners.
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 05 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The Bar-B-Chef is an off-set smoker made with heavy guage steel which is why I am considering moving to it. Was just hoping someone had experience with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 05 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the Bar-B-Chef #186400. The offset smoker looks just like my Brinkman SnP. If it is, then you will love it; it is a fairly versatile smoker. I saw them at Wall mart this weekend for $147. I don’t know how the Bar-B-Chef compares but I think the SnP has a little bigger fire box. Anyway, you can’t go wrong with this type of pit. Mine has lasted outside for about 8 years and I still think it has a few more years left in it. Because it is painted, don’t forget to season it before you use it. Enamel paint taste terrible.
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 05 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it is kind of confusing that they have a different charcoal grill also called the same thing. I have done a little research, and just by feel the steel was a lot thicker and the pit put together a lot better than another I saw at Loews. LOL....of course my wife likes the size of the little water smoker I currently have, but thankfully she has been very supportive (I think she likes the fact that she has had BBQ every weekend all summer) of my efforts to move up to a "real" pit.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 05 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine for my birthday. I am working on my new one right now. When I come home at night, I don't get "Hi Honey!" I get "when will you be done with the new smoker."
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 05 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and me both. My wife "allowed me" to buy myself the water smoker as an early father's day present. The off-set Bar-B-Chef is like $199+ (will want the cover and a thermometer so really like $249), so I have been getting the hurry up and buy it from the wife. I think she is hating the fact that I am being very methodical and trying to make sure that I am going to like whatever I finally purchase. Once we get back from the Delaware beach on August 13 I am not waiting another minute!
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 05 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aint it great when the Wife is into Q as well. Life cant get any better.
LIAR #100
DF8005

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 05 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I JUST GOT A BBQ CHEF FROM BBQ GALORE LAST WEEK. I LOOKED AT A BUNCH OF SMOKERS TO CHOOSE THIS ONE. THIS WAS MY FIRST SMOKER AND HAD NO PROBLEMS AT ALL WITH IT. HELD THE TEMP @ 220 FOR 7 HOURS ON ONE LOAD OF LUMP COAL. I WOULD SAY ITS A GREAT CHOICE Very Happy IF YOU DO GET ONE MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE BOTTOM SHELF IN PLACE BEFORE YOU BOLT ON ANY LEGS. IT WILL SAVE YOU SOME TIME.
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 05 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely is great when the wife is interested and loves her Q........kinda like she loves the home brewed beer I like to dabble in making.

Thanks for the hint on the bottom shelf!
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 05 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when can we come over? Just a couple hundred of your closest friends!
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 05 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL......hmmm....house and yard might fit y'all.........the lovely part of living in the DC burbs...........land is at a premium. Love my 3 level townhouse on .04 (and yes you read it right) acres...........then again, if it is big enough for the vegetable and spice garden, the kid's sandbox, and the soon to be purchased off-set......IT IS ALL GOOD!
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27 05 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw the new BBQ Galore smoker this weekend, looks great, it has all of the mods I made to the New Braunfels already done, no welding required. My
wife told me I could sell the old one in the garage sale this weekend and get it, but I will wait until this one dies, then replace it, after all, I already did the welding.

Sharpshooter.
JerryA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10 05 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the same smoker from BBQ galore about a month ago. This weekend it will be my third time cooking in it.

I bought the b-b-chef thermometer too($30) and I think it may not be very accurate. I tested in boiling water and had to tweak it for it to be close to 212F

The smoker is pretty nice though. I saw a few before choosing this one. Others didn't have a good design. This one has the design of others that cost hundreds more.
redray
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15 05 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you tweak the temp guage. I have the same set up and the thermometer reads about 20 degrees low.
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15 05 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question on the thermometer mod.......interested in that answer myself as it looks like I will be buying mine this weekend finally! Gotta love it when the wife makes a deal that whatever money is left from vacation can be mine......lol.......think she was bitter when she found out I actually held $150 back......now it will only cost me another 4100 this weekend and I am good to go!
JerryA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16 05 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the way I knew mine was off was that when I was tightening the nut at the back of the thermometer, I held it by the dial and when I turned the nut, the needle moved. I then took it off, boiled some water and after it came to a roaring boil, I dipped the rod into the water. After about 20 seconds the needle stopped going up and it read about 190F. I then turned the heat on and let it boil again and then checked all my meat thermometers, and they all stopped at 211.5 or 212, so I knew I had to tweak the cooker's thermometer back to reading right. So I grabbed my wrench, and held the thermometer at the hex on the back and turned the whole dial clock-wise a bit and tested it. It took a few times to get it right, but after I did, I checked it like 3 times and each time the needle went up to and stopped at around 210 (and that was good enough for me)

P.S. When installing the thermometer be carful not to hold by the dial, or turn the dial when it is installed, it will turn and the needle won't so be careful. Also water boils at 212 at sea level and lower in higher altitudes so it may be a couple degrees lower, but you can click below to see exactly at what temp:
http://www.biggreenegg.com/boilingPoint.htm
redray
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22 05 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested mine the same way that you did with the boiling water and I tried to adjust the face without any luck. I will try again. By the way, I am sure that I probably twisted it when I installed the thermometer because the mounting hole was a little small, requiring a bit of file work. Thanks
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23 05 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoker worked awesome. Can't wait for another go next weekend!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: