FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electric Water Smoker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbeque

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28 05 3:21 am    Post subject: Electric Water Smoker Reply with quote

I recently received an electric water smoker (Brinkman Smoke & Grill) as a gift. I've tried to cook a brisket but it didn't come out too good. I used mesquite wood chips, but there didn't appear to be much smoke, nor did the brisket have much flavor. Does anyone have any experience with this smoker (or something similar) and could help me out? I'd like to be able to do ribs and briskets but I don't want to ruin everything I try either. Sad
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28 05 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve got an older one like that but it uses charcoal. What internal temp did you cook it too. How much time, and at what temp, these brinkmanns are a little tuff to get used too but once ya figure them out they arn`t too bad too cook with. Get ya a cheep oven temp guage at a local wal-mart or a store like that, should only cost about 5 bucks. If ya can get the temps up to 225 you should be ok. Knowing temp at grate level will be a big help for ya. Give us a little more info my friend Very Happy We`ll get her figured out. All it takes is knowing how your cooker works and it will help ya a bunch.
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29 05 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one just like yours and have had good luck so far.

I cut the brisket in half. Separate the point from the flat.

Cook the points on top and the flats on the bottom rack closest to the water. It's cooler down there and the flat is easier to dry out.

Smoke for 4 hours. I put an aluminum pouch of non soaked wood chips on top of the electic coil. Two to start then I replace one every hour.

Smoke for 4 hours. Then remove and wrap in aluminum foil and back in teh heat for 4 more hours or so.

Pull it out and let it rest for an hour. Then slice and serve.

Note: Cook time varies a lot with the weather with our grill. Go by internal temp.

After the initial smoke, you can freeze. Then take out and finish in the oven at a later date. Let thaw thoroughly and reheat in the oven at 225 for 3-4 hours.
Newbeque

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29 05 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did have just a flat (about 3 LBs) and cooked it about 4 hours. Not sure at what temp. I assumed that since the smoler didn't have gauge, that it would only get to the "correct" temp. Was extremely dry & tough. I'll get that gauge and try again. I read one of the other forum posts that said they cook brisket for 14 hours. Is that possible? They said theirs was tough after 7 hours but got really tender after 14 hrs. I have bought a whole tip (about 6lbs) which seems to be alot more in line to what most folks here are making (can't find those 12 LBers yet!!) and want to be successful. And how do you get that nice ring in the meat? My uncle visits each summer from Texas for a family reunion and he cooks a great brisket and I followed his recipe and like I said, I pretty much bombed it.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29 05 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbeque
Dont give up yet my friend, while yer at the store picking up the cheap oven guage pick ya up one to check the meats internal temp also. Cook by temp to start with. Most meats have there point when the fat breaks down and the meat becomes tender. Correct me if i`m wrong guys.....
Pork Butts, Shoulders, Briskets to 190-200 internal
Chicken, Turkey 180 internal
Pork loins i cook to 150-155 internal, now most cateres will cook loins to 160 to be safe cause of the liability factor.
These temps are just guidlines and of coures we are cooking at a temp of 200-225 in the cook chamber, some fire them up to 225-250 so just use your judgment as to when there done depending on the temps. Cooking by the internal temperature of the meat will help ya mo better. In my opinion.
Keep on cookin on..................... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: