FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

non fat dry milk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nogoer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06 07 10:57 pm    Post subject: non fat dry milk Reply with quote

I recently aquired the newly published 3rd edition of Rytek Kutas sasuage and meat curing book. In his book he discusses the use of soy powder and dry milk as a moisture retainer in some fresh and most smoked sausages. In this discussion he states that one should not use the dry milk intended for making milk at home, and instead use dry milk from a dairy farm because of its finer texture. Before reading this i had been using the dry powdered milk in my bratwurst. They have been plump and moist and the type of dry milk i used doesnt seem to cause any negative effects.

My question to all of you is, is Ryteks statement more of a purist way and does the finer type really work in a different way?

I know lots will say, use what works for me and i plan on that still. Using specialized harder to get ingredients really raises the cost effectivness factor for me.

Food lover and newbie smoker
My hobby food site...
http://www.foodartisan.net
rawtalent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07 07 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on soy protein concentrate and dry milk long ago. I'm happy with the sausages without it.
c crane
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08 07 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the're talking about milk replacer for baby calves. There is usually stuff in there i wouldn't want in my sausage.
Dbritt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14 07 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried sausage and luncheon loaves with regular dry milk and with the powdered milk from Sausagemaker.com. Not a large difference. Have noticed more of a need for soy protein and dry milk in the luncheon loves than in the sausages, May be a commercial producer's trick to retain moisture and reduce weight loss in production. You don't need to keep as a clos a watch on your batches to have them be consistent. For small production for myself I rarely use in sausage anymore, just for fun once in a while to keep things interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: