FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chicken Advice Needed - How do you get crisp skin?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
str8smokin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01 05 9:20 am    Post subject: Chicken Advice Needed - How do you get crisp skin? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I've been grilling chicken for a while now, but have always had trouble getting crispy skin. Is it possible on a grill? I usually indirect-cook the chicken on the grill, baste/glaze it a bit, then try to crisp the skin over higher heat, but no real luck.

Any Help?
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 05 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do rotisserie chicken on the grill and have very crispy chicken.

Also do it with beer up the butt chicken, but have to rotate them around every so often.

Cook both with indirect heat for a long time. Cook till the thigh wiggles loose.
(SIC) BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 05 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take a whole chicken and cut the backbone out of it (Butterfly). Hit with some rub and pour some olive oil on it. Then I just sear it very quickly and toss it skin side down on indirect heat @ 325, take a heavy brick/paver and wrap it in tin foil shiny side out to refect the heat and lay it on top of the chicken. The skin comes out very crispy and the meat is nice and tender. Out of all the ways I have tried this produces the best grill chicken.

Jason

[Sci]ence + A[r]t = (SIC) BBQ

Last edited by (SIC) BBQ on Thu Aug 04 05 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
str8smokin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 05 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas, I'll give both techniques a try!

Joe
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking with one of the fella's at the Canadian Open about that very topic and his advice was to use high heat and dont use any smoke. He said as soon as you pound the smoke to chicken the skin will come out leathery and will not crisp. He likes to keep the charcoal grill over 350 degrees and uses indirect heat.
LIAR #100
str8smokin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07 05 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. One of these weekends I'm going to try all of these methods and have an answer.
fatcatmarky
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02 05 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Str8,

Well this weekend I grilled some chix and had great luck with the skin. I seasoned the guys with butt rub www.buttrub.com and let them sit for 8 hours.

I keep my gas grill at medium heat, letting it warm up first. Then I placed aluminum foil on the grates and put my chicken meat side down and closed the hood. I turned the chicken over after 15 minutes, you might start checking it at 10. It took 35 minutes to get to correct temp. The skin was crispy and flavorful. What happens is the grease from the chicken comes out and actually fries the skin while its cooking. It only works with a convection though, so the hood or top needs to be on.

Good luck partner,

Mark
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02 05 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that you have an offset smoker ….. take a cast iron griddle and place on the grates where the fire box meets the smoker. Let it sit there all during the cooking process. When you are ready to pull the birds, just flip them over and they will pan sear on the griddle.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02 05 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Alien, you get the best of both worlds. Fried and smoked at the same time..
No wonder your teaching Q.
LIAR #100
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02 05 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don’t throw a juicy whole onion on the griddle. They have a tendency to explode. Trust me…. I know!
str8smokin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02 05 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky and Alien, Thanks for the tips! Now I have a reason to go buy a cast iron griddle!

I am thinking about doing some chicken very soon and will definitely be trying one or several of the techniques posted above.

Joe
GTgrillers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23 05 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the frying pan...method over the weekend....Wow....I let the chicken cook over indirect (no wood...all coal) for about 30 min....Then I started putting it in the hot pan (that was sitting over the fire the whole time)...You get the nice fry sound (sssssssssssss)...And after about 30 to 40 mins.....The chicken was crisp and juicy...mmmmmmm.......So within about a 2 hr period of time you can make crispy chicken......
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23 05 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTgrillers wrote:
I used the frying pan...method over the weekend....Wow....I let the chicken cook over indirect (no wood...all coal) for about 30 min....Then I started putting it in the hot pan (that was sitting over the fire the whole time)...You get the nice fry sound (sssssssssssss)...And after about 30 to 40 mins.....The chicken was crisp and juicy...mmmmmmm.......So within about a 2 hr period of time you can make crispy chicken......

I think I am going to be sick...
str8smokin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25 05 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the "Modified Fatcatmarky" method last night on some chicken wings.

First I I gave the raw chicken a light brushing of butter, then sprinkled them with my homemade rub. I indirect grilled the wings with foil poked with holes underneath them. Cooked both sides about 10 minutes each then finished up all of the pieces over higher heat directly over the coals. The wings turned out perfect with crispy skin. the homemade buffalo sauce didn't hurt either!

Thanks for the tips fellas. I'll keep you updated if when I try some of the other techniques.
GTgrillers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30 05 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DawgPhan Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:29 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GTgrillers wrote:

I think I am going to be sick...

Ol school my man...ol school.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: