FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any WSM users here???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 05 7:43 am    Post subject: Any WSM users here??? Reply with quote

I am still researching smokers as my current smoker is starting to rust out. I currently have a Brinkmann Pitmaster, which has served me well for a few years, and I only paid $10 for it. But it does not have the offset fire chamber so it's not the easiest to smoke with. Doing ribs is pretty easy but anything larger does not come out well as it's tough to keep the temp up for longe than 6 hours and not drying out the food. I've been searching around and still not found something I really like or have to have. The back-woods smokers are appealing, well the Patio model, but i'd like something I can also use as a charcoal grill because steaks done over charcoal or wood are just amazing. So far, the best options i've found for that are teh big green egg and teh WSM. From all the reading i've done, many many people rave about the WSM, and it can actually hold more than my Pitmaster for smoking becoase I do not have the extra chamber.

Any thoughts on this smoker? I know it's probably not in the same league as the Back-Woods but that is not a smoker I can grill with.

Or should I just buy the fire box ($150 just for the box) and keep the Brinkmann???

Thanks again everyone.

Zak
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 05 8:06 am    Post subject: smokers Reply with quote

Take a look at our smokers!! We have a gas/charcoal grill option that should work great for you. I don't have the backyard models on the website yet.
Zak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 05 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking smokers but a bit large for me. Plus I need to have mine on the deck.
qwikdray

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 05 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my research I'm going with a Traeger it seems you can do it all and everyone reves about it. The sam's club price on the Smith and Wesson is pretty good, same smoker
Blackbeard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 05 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a WSM. I'm new to smoking, but I must say I love this thing. I've let it run for 16 hours on a single load of charcoal. Holds temp beautifully. The only drawback is the size. If you're cooking for 50 people, you'll probably have to cook in multiple batches. Also, you can't really lay a full rack of ribs flat like you can with an offset-type. You have to either bend them into a rib rack or cut 'em in half.
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to compete using WSMs before I got my Backwoods. It's a great cooker. I still have one WSM that I keep around for small cooks. Here's a link to my picture on the Virtual Weber Bullet site http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pics8.html#Garry%20Howard

Garry
Zak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info everyone. I'd really rather have the Back-Woods but with the extra costs and how tough they are to grill on I'm really htinking about going with the Weber. And found some great recipe's over on site you linked Garry.

Thanks again everyone, so now does anyone want my pitmaster??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: