FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Used Diesel tank as Cooker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 12:40 am    Post subject: Used Diesel tank as Cooker Reply with quote

I know Alien has some info on this. A guy on another forum has asked for information on using a 100 Gallon Diesel Fuel Tank as a cooker. Everyone warned him about the dangers. His response was, "It had diesel fuel in it. Has been empty for a year. If anything it has a little water in it. Absolutely no chance for explosions. Still against it?".

Shocked Can you believe this??? Rolling Eyes

Anybody have any advice for this guy? Is he crazy, or is he OK to proceed with a particular method? Is this thing even able to be cleaned out to whee it is safe to cook food in it?

I figure this guy needs as much advice as he can get, so I posted the same question here in order to keep him from killing himself or others.
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an absolute horrible idea. One he may kill himself cutting it. Two if he doesnt kill himself his food that he cooks in it will always taste horrible and will probably be toxic.

Gasoline and Diesel fuel permeate metal and residue will ALWAYS exist in the steel. Propane will not permeate steel and that why people make cookers out of old propane tanks.

Please try to stop him from doing this.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a bad idea. Using dry ice until it comes out the upper vent would prevent the remote possibility of any explosion but the diesel taste would be in the smoker for quite a while. His best bet for used equipment is to try and find a used water tank. Show him the photos of my used propane tank post from a few weeks ago.
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05 05 11:52 am    Post subject: Is it worth dieing for?? Reply with quote

There is not a piece of steal worth dieing for. A long time ago you might have caught me cutting a tank or two, not any more. When I worked a rig welder, we cut a 40' bullet tank in half that was used to store propane. We hit a pocket of vapor in the scale on the inside about half way down. Even though we had a 6-CO2 perge tanks feeding the bullet tank, it still cracked open like an egg. Needless to say, I don't work in petrolium plants anymore and I don't cut used fuel tanks of anykind. It's just not worth dieing for or getting seriously hurt!!!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06 05 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree- Bad idea! Crying or Very sad There are too many used tanks available that dont have toxic/flammable residue left in them. As a machine builder and former motorcycle mechanic, I can tell you that we definitely did not weld or cut this type of tank!
GTgrillers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06 05 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....You gotta admit...This guy is either crazy....dead broke......loves to BBQ....Or all of the above.... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: